Cephalopod Lecture - LA area - Oct 6th

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/newsevents/eventsdetail/cephalopods_chameleons_of_the_sea/

Cephalopods: Chameleons of the Sea

By James B. Wood

Octopuses, squid, cuttlefishes, and nautiluses are the amazing creatures known as cephalopods. They are found in the global ocean from the tropics to the poles, and from intertidal coastal areas to the abyss. They are capable of changing their appearance in terms of color, texture, and pattern. If these tricks do not work, these underwater chameleons can disappear in a cloud of ink that acts as a smokescreen. Cuttlefishes have inspired legends and stories throughout history and are thought to be the most intelligent of the invertebrates. Dr. James Wood will introduce us to these unique animals in a presentation rich with images and videos. He will also share some of his recent research. Wood is the director of education at the Aquarium of the Pacific. He is a board member and director of cephalopods at MarineBio. He holds a Ph.D. in biology from Dalhousie University.

Dr. Wood has published numerous peer-reviewed and popular papers on cephalopod behavior, life history, physiology, and husbandry. He is webmaster of The Cephalopod Page, one of the longest running biological web sites and is a founding executive member and board member for MarineBio.org. He has worked with the Census of Marine Life since 1998 and co-developed one of their pilot species databases–CephBase.

Event Information When: Tuesday, Oct 6, 2009
7:00 pm–8:30 pm

Cost: $8 for public, $4 general Aquarium members, Free for Pacific Circle members and Students with Valid ID and advanced reservations

RSVP: (562) 590-3100, ext. 0

For those that can not make it in person but are still interested in the content, the Aquarium of the Pacific will post an online video of the lecture a month or so afterwards.

TONMO members,

I was able to arrange for up to 10 complementary tickets for TONMO members. Please RSVP after Wed (Sept 23) and just mention that you are a TONMO member. Be sure to arrive at least 15 min early to pick up your complimentary admission.

I love the internet, I can't wait for the video to be up. Maine to California is a bit far to travel for a ceph lecture.

ceph;142864 said:
TONMO members,

I was able to arrange for up to 10 complementary tickets for TONMO members. Please RSVP after Wed (Sept 23) and just mention that you are a TONMO member. Be sure to arrive at least 15 min early to pick up your complimentary admission.

:thumbsup: Thanks Dr. James!

I made my reservation...

Do any TONMOers want to get together for a mini-con after the talk?

Well, I just got back from the talk, and it was quite entertaining... a lot of James' anecdotes as well as some interesting research results and observations, and a lot of good imagery. In particular, he premiered a video taken of bimacs in the wild in the tidepools on Catalina island that was quite impressive... when the webcast becomes available, I recommend it. I didn't see any obvious other TONMOers there, so I'm sorry if I missed anyone, but I did suggest to a few people afterward that they check us out...

I just finished watching the short version, great for people who know little or nothing about cephs. Due to a night with no sleep, I'm going to need a lot more coffee before I tackle anything requiring brain cells. Thanks!

Were there students along with the teachers during the tide pool "show"? The first time I saw it I thought they were all young kids but during your pod cast you only mentioned teachers. :wink:

I loved the computer network analogy as that is how I always think about them as well, unfortunately, most of the audience probably has no concept of how a computer network is put together. In the early days of computers, I compared a specific computer technology to a species of dinasaur (who were thought to have a seconary brain - I think this thinking may have changed). The octopus would have made a better comparative for the paper but I don't think we knew that at the time :old:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back