Cephalopod Intelligence Research Paper

VampireSquid

Hatchling
Registered
Hi I am a Highschool senior and I love Cephalopods. I have a research paper due in a couple weeks on Cephalopod intelligence and I still need some research. Book suggestions or any thoughts would be a great help

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Hanlon & Messenger Cephalopod Behavior is hands-down the best single source. Anything by J.Z. Young is good also, but will be heavier on the brain anatomy than behavior. If you have a local university library, they are likely to have those. Wells Octopus might be helpful as well, and if you can find a copy of Moynihan Communication and Noncommunication by Cephalopods that's good as well.

VampireSquid

Hatchling
Registered
Thank you for replying, I signed up for this about a week ago, but it caught my interest the second i saw it. I did check Communication and Noncommunication by Cephalopods and Cephalopod Behavior, along with Octupus and Squid: The Soft Intelligence by Jacques Cousteau and Brain and Behavior in Cephalopods by M. J. Wells.

fiona

Hatchling
Registered
Hi VampireSquid
I don't know if you are still looking for information but if you do have access to a university library and can look them up then papers by Jennifer A. Mather and/or Roland Anderson could be useful to you. Hope this helps. :smile:

VampireSquid

Hatchling
Registered
Hi There, I finished my research paper and I will Have to present it in front of a panel of judges next week. I attached the paper here, let me know if it works!

Attachments

• conv_293963.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 214

Major Mess

Cuttlefish
Registered
mmhhh didn´t like the article very much...

what does intelligence mean - in scientific terms?
Keeping this huge topic in mind I think it is not safe to say, Cephalopods are "enormously intelligent". They are really intelligent compared to all other invertebrates, right. But it´s safer to speak of "complex behavior".

What did the 'judges' say? And what was the context of your talk, what´s your age?

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Major Mess;137565 said:
mmhhh didn´t like the article very much...

what does intelligence mean - in scientific terms?
Keeping this huge topic in mind I think it is not safe to say, Cephalopods are "enormously intelligent". They are really intelligent compared to all other invertebrates, right. But it´s safer to speak of "complex behavior".

What did the 'judges' say? And what was the context of your talk, what´s your age?

did like th post very much
what does mmhhhh mean - in scientific terms?

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
Hey Vampire Squid,

Good job on the paper. Nice work on making us actually see it feeding on the clam :smile:
By the way, what were you being judged on? Hope you did well.

As for any naysayers out there...remember that encouragement works much better than criticism at early ages (i.e. high school), well at any age for that matter.

Latest Posts