Cephalopod Gravel

Echioceras

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was in my garden yesterday when I noticed what looked like half a belemnite sticking out of the gravel. On further inspection I found a piece of coral and a Gryphaea. Now I have found 21 belemnites, 5 bits of coral, a sponge, 124 ammonites and 5 trilobites. Good results, eh? And I haven't even cleared a fraction of the pile yet!

sigh. All I ever find when looking at rocks in my garden is... rocks.

Although there are a few that seem to have boring clam holes and barnacle remains in them, so I suspect that some previous owner of the house brought them from the beach. Or perhaps a swallow carried them.

In any case, congratulations (and a bit of envy) on your finds...

"The roads not traveled". I wonder what I would have chosen to study if I had a garden like that as a young person! I join Monty in the envy.

sorry everyone, if I could give you some of the gravel I would. Most of the ammonites aren't whole, anyway, and the belemnites are too big.

Found my first sea urchin in the gravel today, along with a really nice rose quartz belemnite. That's my 5th complete one of those, and I'm finding more.

Blinking flip Echioceras, that's great going, well done! I wish my garden was so productive - you must have dug deep! Are you sure the ammonoids and trilobites were found together though? True ammonites did not evolve until after the extinction of the trilobites, so it would be interesting to know what was going on as it's hard to explain the two being found together.

Some pictures would be great though!

Alright, I'll post a few pictures soon. Some of the gravel is local Eocene, while some is the cephalopod stuff. The "trilobites" I found are probably just wishful thinking, but a few look like tails.

P.S the total is now 346!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back