Cephalopod Eyes-- Sight in 3 Dimensions?

I had always assumed binocular vision was the norm in octos (based on photos of my own), but something about the line of questioning made me wonder if I had made a mistake... the mistake of course was looking for a generalized statement that was true for all cephs! :wink:

:banghead: I guess that would explain why they do the head bobbing when they see prey... I never associated a vertical movement with parallax (probably because I'm just used to thinking of eyes being spaced horizontally), but it makes perfect sense. I always thought that was just "eagerness" the way a cat wiggles its hind-quarters before pouncing.

This is why I love this place... the expansion of my mind! Thanks.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thanks Roy! Bobbing has been mentioned by many but with no explanation. I have thought about bobbing back but had not since I could not tell if it was an aggressive or assertive behavior. I have been responding by moving my head side ways in response to acknowledge but hopefully not challenge (and it seems to be a motion they cannot emulate but does seem to be a common query expression). If it is only an action to judge size or distance, I guess my octos may have found me peculiar :smile:

Latest Posts