Ceph stuff on eBay

Attachments

• conv_298030.jpg
    conv_298030.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 108
Here are two beautifully made silver tentacles - the first one is a cuff bracelet, and I've never seen one like it, the second is a ring (listed as a pendant, but they just put the ring on a cord) Both are stunning. The price isn't horrible, and I kinda really want one.
But I hate the idea that it's made "from a real octopus tentacle" I've seen another artist on Etsy that casts with tentacles. I love the way they look, but I don't want baby octopus dying for my jewelery. How does anyone else feel about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3D-Octopus-Tent...d=link&campid=5338967513&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/3D-Octopus-Tent...d=link&campid=5338967513&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Unlike some of the dried seahorses you see, the demise of the octopus/octopuses was not to make the molds (and each item is not a new octopus). Honoring an animal that was already designated as food does not seem inappropriate to me. Octopuses are a food item (either human or in situ) and I think it is important that keepers acknowledge this. When someone tries to get my goat about keeping them by saying they taste good, they don't win. I simply say I keep food animals as pets and leave it at that.

I see your point about octopuses being a food item. I suppose I'm coming not only from a ceph-admirer but from a vegetarian standpoint. Because they seem so 'intelligent', and because I come from a southern US food background, I don't tend to think of them as dinner. I became vegetarian not because of moral reasons - that is to say, I don't believe it is wrong to kill animals for food- but because I wouldn't have the guts to kill an animal myself. So I don't know if thinking of them as dinner makes me feel better. That being said, let me acknowledge my own hypocrisy in wearing leather shoes. :smile: But you're very right, I hadn't noticed they had several for sale and must therefore be using a mold. That does make me feel a lot better. It really is a beautiful cuff, and now I can add it to my wish list! And it gives me a chance to spread the love. I never fail to get comments when I wear any of my ceph jewelery or clothes! That's one reason I love this thread!

Thanks very much for your thoughts

LOL, I have a friend who is vegan (not just vegetarian) and is very committed to the principles. However, he also is very active in rescuing and caring for animals that would otherwise be euthanized and he recognized that the animals require meat to be healthy. So where he and his wife do not eat or use any kind of animal products, he does feed chicken to the animals he keeps.

I have been trying in vain to get my daughter in law to post some of her tentacle scarves here. They are really cute, and come in different sizes, colors and prices, but she (so far) hasn't done it. If anyone is interested in seeing them, she puts them on etsy under the name creeplings.

Thanks D. I was mindful of the no 3rd party stuff on Marketplace, so didn't think I could post it, but I think Erich looks so cool and I love her tentacle scarves.

I figure that was a three way win by including a cool ceph crafted item, a photo of a member as well as the son of a member (hence the twofer/threefer reference :biggrin2:

Nice to see you taking a compter break :wink: The blue ones are water :roll:. I honestly don't remember what the blue ones are but garnet is my birth stone. There is a topaz that is Neal's birthstone, also a peridot (you can see the peridot in the photo and the garnets in mine are red, not purple). In spite of the width, it is a very comfortable ring.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back