Ceph Furniture...

Just polished the finished 'crete, and waxed / buffed w/ food safe wax like Carnuba.
I made a 2' x 3' x 2" mold out of the 3/4" white melamine coated particle board, added 1/2" rebar and "sidewalk wire", Used the Cheng Concrete admixture (black), vibrated 1 cubic foot of the 'crete after the pour. After de-molding I polished. The ammonite was bought off Ebay and stuck to the mold (pre-pour) with a super thin layer if silicone. Table legs are 4" square tube steel painted black.
I really like concrete as a medium for diy projects. I have a couple books as well. Taking the time to make a nice mold is key.
See these for some ideas:
Award Winners Archives | Concrete Exchange
Learn How to Make Concrete Countertops
Concrete Countertops - Pros, Cons, DIY & Care - Concrete Network
Concrete Ideas |
Also a Google image search for "concrete countertops" turns up a lot of images.

It seems most home owners here in New England prefer traditional / colonial designs, so concrete countertops and architecture are not very popular like in Ca. for instance. I like clean contemporary / modern design, so it suits me well.

This is so cool. It makes me want to experiement. I wonder how well the counter tops hold up (chipping would be a concern with what little I know about concrete).

I think a tile or stone countertop would be more susceptible to chipping.
The special admixture makes the finish concrete VERY hard and strong. When these special admixtures are used, only about 2/3 of the "normal" amount of water is required - which makes the concrete much harder and stronger, and the wet mix is very plastic.
More of a concern for some is that the finished project may take on a patina, which I like. Some people will point out "flaws" like an occasional pock mark on a vertical surface, which I see as character. Design is limited only by imagination which is the biggest +.
I made some 12" x 12" x 2" "tile" molds and made several practice plates for experimenting with blending or partial blending of colors and trying to make lighter weight items using vermiculite and perlite as aggregates. I think Aluminum oxide added will "blow" the mix creating bubbles under the solid "skin" which will also lighten the item.
I think anyone with remodeling experience and who can think creatively could have a successful business making and installing concrete countertops and other things in and around the home or business properties.

My son came home with this today! Wasn't aware it existed - very cool set.

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8061

Donnerboy;147665 said:
The new line of Lego's is Atlantis.

There are several factions here:
The humans in their subs and suits
Manta-men
Shark-men
and of course...
Octo-men.

This set is the "Gateway of the Squid". It is supposed to be a cephalopod temple entrance.

Ceph Furniture ...Candle Holder

Here's some pewter you might like...

Found here at $579. Ugh!

Attachments

• conv_297005.jpg
    conv_297005.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 116
Ceph Furniture ...Closet

But first you'll need to hang up your boat-cloak...

Not really for sale, but instead an example of a black smith's art. Found here.

Attachments

• conv_297007.jpg
    conv_297007.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 132
Ceph Furniture ...Bottle

But maybe you need to walk out on deck and look at the ocean with a water bottle to keep hydrated...

found on ebay some time ago. Never saw again. I have a buddy in Japan looking...

Attachments

• conv_297009.jpg
    conv_297009.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 112
Ceph Furniture ...Clothing

But if you're going out on deck, you'll need something to keep warm. It's getting cooler now.

The lowest I have seen for this is $60 here.

Attachments

• conv_297010.jpg
    conv_297010.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 110

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back