Ceph/Deep Sea-inspired music

Tom Chapin recorded a song called "Billy the Squid," released on an album of the same name. You can find it on Amazon.com, along with an image of the cover art.

He's a little outlaw squid, that's what he is. Got that look in his eye.

For lovecraftian music I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets.

They have sort of a punk style in their older music (there 3 albums of lovecraftian stuff) and have a good range of styles in their newer stuff.

To give you a taste of the lyrics...

I met her at the E.O.D.
She sank her dew claws into me
We stepped out to watch the tide come in
She said a little swim would do some wonders for your skin
I shed my old self, slipped into the sea
One glance was all it took
She gave me the Innsmouth Look

[/url]

GWAR were one of the first live bands i ever seen!!!!

i remember sneaking in to Edinburgh and getting pretty damn drunk (prolly about 15 or thereabouts) and all was well until GWAR actually came onstage. Throughout the show the band and all the extras were throwing fake blood and stuff about and we got covered! Not exactly what we had in mind but great fun!

i went looking for a cool pic of them to share here but the online sites are perhaps not suitable for all viewers!!!! LOLOL 8)

And another thing is that MetallicA had an instrumental on Ride the Lighting called The call of Ktulu.......... is that a variation?

C

challenge for any of our more musically/lyrically inclined members:

corrupting Jay-z's "99 Problems (but a squid aint one)*"

the great thing is with a rap song its less reliant on harmony and more of a fast tempo free style....

*italics and title corruption mine

Here I go again coming back from friday drinks and posting rubbish, like that's ever stopped me before...

I'd just like to add a couple of my fave Cure songs in here, pausing to fire up itunes on his beloved G4 to play one of them...

'From the edge of the deep green sea' and 'the same deep water as you'

Goth, moi?

Matt Jones said:
'From the edge of the deep green sea' and 'the same deep water as you'

Oh yes, both classics, very moody. Speaking of The Cure, here's a dusty old rare 10" from my archives at home called "Half an Octopus", aka Quadpus in some releases.

It dates from 1985 and features "Close to Me", "A Man Inside My Mouth"(!), "Stop Dead" and "New Day". I don't think many of these were issued, but I'm not sure.

Half_an_Octopus.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Say, this is pretty funny:

I Crush Everything

Jonathan Coulton is a songwriter here in NYC. You can listen to "I Crush Everything" as streaming media if you click on the songs box above the lyrics. The song seems to be about a giant squid who's had some bad experiences with love and boats.

Clem

Geez, Melissa -

I just went and started listening again until I realized it was "Octopus Woman" - just dreadful!

A song you don't know by a band you've never heard of but can google.Go on, they're great.

Joining the Plankton by Cardiacs

Die time!
jump out of life's egg and join the plankton
inking off across the beds
Inking off across the, and across the thing
'cross the thing

Ink me (woo!)
come to me exploring ah!
and joining the plankton inking off across the beds
Inking off always
So we'll swim and froth with limbs the blue

This much, the ultimate in devotion
and sensitive suckers, beating and cleaning and
keeping me sweet and serene
inked in my face and jetted off
Enough please RELEASE MY HEAD!
hand offered with thanks
mistakes my turgid gland for my hand

Die time!
jump out of life's egg and join the plankton
inking off across the beds
Ink my face and froth with limbs the blue-ah!
Jetting off with thanks mistakes my turgid gland
for my hand

Wonder what that's about then?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back