• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ceph culture system

Unless I have my species mixed, these only spawn a few eggs each year so raising enought to sell may be a problem. Before they became a major conservation topic and were reasonably priced, I fed the red shrimp to my seahorses (the supplier has their own ponds but are facing restrictions anyway). There is a lot of controversy over using these as feeders and I hope you are successful getting the permits and raising them for this purpose as they are a great size and the red color attacks even the pickiest of horses. The color, however, would seem to be a problem for cephs.

dwhatley;111008 said:
Unless I have my species mixed, these only spawn a few eggs each year so raising enought to sell may be a problem. Before they became a major conservation topic and were reasonably priced, I fed the red shrimp to my seahorses (the supplier has their own ponds but are facing restrictions anyway). There is a lot of controversy over using these as feeders and I hope you are successful getting the permits and raising them for this purpose as they are a great size and the red color attacks even the pickiest of horses. The color, however, would seem to be a problem for cephs.

I never said it would be easy :smile:. Each female spawns around 10-15 eggs a couple times a year. The good thing that makes them a good subject is they do not eat each other like mysids, they eat bacteria and algae unlike mysids that need a lot of artmia and they can be kept at higher densities. Again the enviromental effects from collecting is bad and from what I've been told some of the places selling them still collect them from the wild.

There is still not a lot known about how to raise them. First, I'm just trying to see what enviromental cues they use to breed and go from there and hopefully in the long term be able to culture them in large enough quantities to sell them as live food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back