• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ceph culture system

Attached are a few pics of a system I'm building for a pilot scale experiment for large scale culture of cephs for pet trade and research that I'm building at work. Hopefully we will get our animals in May/June. Right now it consists of (15) 20g tanks and (2) 1300g tanks on a recirculating system.

Attachments

• conv_303238.jpg
    conv_303238.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_303239.jpg
    conv_303239.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 75
Very impressive!

So which species are you considering? Any possibilities that we could buy those destined for the pet trade?

Nancy

Awesome! Are you doing this at U H Hilo, or are you associated with some other lab in the Hilo area (does Manoa have a presence in Hilo? I have the impression that U H Hilo doesn't have much of a grad program, but Manoa does a lot more researchy stuff. And Kewalo and Manoa are on Oahu, right?

I'm doing this with the center that I work for the Pacific Aquaculture and Coastal Resources Center which is part of UH Hilo. UH-Hilo does have a small grad program but it's fairly new and so small for now but hopefully will grow. UH Hilo does not do as much research as Manoa overall but we are a smaller campus. However our aquaculture facilities is a lot better :smile:

monty;110914 said:
Awesome! Are you doing this at U H Hilo, or are you associated with some other lab in the Hilo area (does Manoa have a presence in Hilo? I have the impression that U H Hilo doesn't have much of a grad program, but Manoa does a lot more researchy stuff. And Kewalo and Manoa are on Oahu, right?

marinebio_guy;110915 said:
I'm doing this with the center that I work for the Pacific Aquaculture and Coastal Resources Center which is part of UH Hilo. UH-Hilo does have a small grad program but it's fairly new and so small for now but hopefully will grow. UH Hilo does not do as much research as Manoa overall but we are a smaller campus. However our aquaculture facilities is a lot better :smile:

Cool, and the Big Island is a lot less touristy and nicer, I think. And has Ken's House of Pancakes.

Paradox;110937 said:
Very nice! Im looking forward to seeing how this develops and please let me know when animals/eggs are available!

Will keep you updated. The system should be up and running in the next week or two and if I get all the permits in time I'll be getting the animals in May or June. Also I'm working on a project raising a small shrimp that might be better than mysids for live food.

The shrimp is Halocaridina rubra which is cultured in very small numbers already but is expensive ($1-2 per shrimp). However, a lot of the ones being sold are wild caught which is bad because they're only found in a few small ponds around hawaii and if over collected they could eazily become endangered. I'm looking at trying to culture them on a large scale first and then see if they would be adequate as a mysid replacement.

I have found a local source to catch live fresh water mysids. Im hesitant to use this as a main food source for hatchlings (bandensis at the moment). Do you have any thoughts or concerns about this?

Paradox;110955 said:
I have found a local source to catch live fresh water mysids. Im hesitant to use this as a main food source for hatchlings (bandensis at the moment). Do you have any thoughts or concerns about this?

I would not have a problem using wild caught mysids. It's probably the best food currently available. I have not worked with fresh water mysids so I do not know if you could acclimate them to saltwater which you might have to do because if you just put them in the saltwater without acclimating them they might die.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back