• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Caulerpa Taxifolia bad for cephs???

lawfish

GPO
Registered
Hey all:

I was watching a show on Discovery last night about how Caulerpa Taxifolia was released from a home, or institutional, tank and is taking over marine habitats all over the world. It has been found that Marine life seems to almost disappear where it takes hold.

One of the scientists (a Franch Guy whose name I can't remember) tested its affects on anemones. He found that it severely affected their health in a negative way.

Many of us use caulerpa in our tanks, sumps and refugiums. I was just curious if that might be a bad idea in a ceph tank???? Anyone know aof any research in this area???

George

A bad idea in which way George? I have had it in all my ceph tanks

Hey Colin:

I'm not sure how it would be bad??? The show I was watching seemed to say that It has a negative affect on marine organisms. They were not real clear on what the mechanism of damage might be??? :cry:

I haven't been able to find any research in this area. I wonder if Dr. Wood might have heard something about this? (Maybe it is much ado about nothing) Ah well!

George

Perhaps just because it is being introduced to areas where it shouldnt be and as a very prollific plant, it is forcing out other species???

I think it is a lovely addition to a ceph tank though :smile:

C

I could possibly understand negative affects on anenomes if the caulpera was over growing the tank and started to block light. But Caulpera's micro fauna or growing should have no negative effect on bimacs. I would think a fuge with the stuff would be a great addition to nearly any tank.
JJ

I saw a national geographic version. The people at the monaco sea aquarium (great place by the way) accidentally released it from their system and now it has already spread to the Aegean! It smothers - outcompetes the indigenous vegetation. Few creatures can feed on it because of its slight toxicity, thereby disrupting the local ecosystem/eliminating indigenous food sources. Also - Caulerpa, when it reaches maturity, will sometimes try to reproduce sexually, polluting your water in the process. The host will die when this happens, fouling up your system. But pruning should prevent the plant from going into sexual mode.
As far as the toxin directly affecting your livestock... I cannot say as I am only just getting into the ceph hobby :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back