• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Care question's for (Metasepia pfefferi)

lance

Wonderpus
Registered
I'm looking for care information any link suggestion from those keeping a Metasepia pfefferi. I also was wondering in the wild the live in open water in a black sand does anywhere sale this exact substrate so I can completely clone there natural environment?? thanks in advance to all those who reply or give a link.

Lance
:spongebo:

Hi Lance, so you're getting up to speed on making your first ceph tank a reality. I further compliment you on wishing to create as much a natural home for your animal as you can. I can not help wonder, however, why you would contemplate Metasepia? It is a species thoroughly discouraged to keep, as it is likely rare and certainly from a very, very fragile ecosystem. If you look up our discussions on the exotics forum, you will see that the general supported conclusion (of at least this community) is to "back off" on flamboyants, mimics, wunderpus and the likes until someone gets a proper captive breeding program going, and that's not quite on the horizon, yet.

Have you already received your flamboyant, or are you merely researching the options? In any case, I look forward to your feedback.

Please, remember, even if you would decide, for your own reasons, to pursue Metasepia, do take on board that it's most certainly not a species to start off with in your hobby, even a highly experienced professional such as Thales had an "interesting time" figuring it all out, and that's telling.

Ob

I didn't order or buy a Metasepia pfefferi it was merely something I was contemplating on researching and studying in the effort to breed and spread the word however I did not have the chance to read the article's on it from this site I still am kinda new to TONMO and just reading when I can between my research and breeding system's, Reef tanks, Coral Frag tanks, etc.... I always try to study a species in and out before I buy or setup an environment for them so they can be happy, healthy, and most importantly reproduce. So if this is a species that I should wait awhile till I raise and breed some other Cuttlefish I will because I don't wanna take on something you guy's say stay away from and I don't want to step on people's toe's by being new to the forum and going right for breeding Metasepia pfefferi.

Thanks for your comment and insight what would you suggest as a starter Cuttlefish for me to learn about before I try to breed the Flamboyant???

thanks again,

Lance
:spongebo:

Flamboyant keeping/breeding

Most of this was discussed recently. :smile:

Good learning cuttles are bandensis - which is pretty much the only cuttle you are going to find in the states.

Either of the Metasepia rarely come in. I have seen 4 in the last 5 or 6 years, and I have never seen more than one come in at a time which makes the idea of breeding very difficult.

Thanks for the feedback Lance, and far from me to discourage anyone from starting captive breeding programs, it is just that M. pfefferi is likely the most unlikely candidate.

Our toes are of fairly limited proportions, in general :wink:

Thales, and Ob

Thank you thales to the link to the forum, Ob again thank you for giving me good advice and steering me in the right direction maybe after some time of experience with other species of Cuttlefish I can be good enough and knowledgeable that I could be someone to captive breed the Flamboyant Cuttlefish.

thanks guys,

Lance

:read:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back