• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Captive Squid?

Keith;124505 said:
I just started usin RC actually. I'm tryin to find out about Volitan Lionfish and what they can be housed with, but the people there aren't nearly as active or...well...informative.

Do be extremely careful with the lion. I had a dwarf from the time it was quite small and had grown accustomed to cleaning the tank without concern. The third time he got me I was on the phone and casually reaching in to relocate a fallen coral. His attack was both obviously intentional and very bad. Over a year later, I still have issues with the knuckle and the Volitan is supposed to have even more painful poison. My son's Volitan was never aggressive but he was not as foolish as I was about bare hands in the tank.

I only know a little about their poison. I've read it's an allergic reaction of some kind. Yea I don't plan on puttin my bare hands in there, i've already got a messed up knuckle, not lookin for another one.

Keith;124505 said:
I just started usin RC actually. I'm tryin to find out about Volitan Lionfish and what they can be housed with, but the people there aren't nearly as active or...well...informative.

Yeah and they aren't as polite either. I made my first and last post in "The Lounge" a while back and found that my impression of RC was way off base. Very rude, immature people, including the mod.

Do read more about the sting. It is not just an allergic reaction, it takes hours to even tollerate the pain even IF you get very hot water on it almost immediately (Jean opted for serious burns just to reduce the pain and longevity of the injury). My first two occasions were just little brushes and gone after a week, the last one was an intentional hit. They are becoming a serious problem in the Bahammas and there is much concern about the Caribbean so you should find plenty of articles and sting reports.

Keith;124505 said:

They will do fine with anything they don't think they can swallow half way.....seriously. Evan from seasplendor in FF has alot of experience with them if you want a fist person, seasoned..er opinion. Keep in mind they are nitrate factories, anything smaller than a 180 will be polluted fast.

That works out well, considering i'd probably be using the same hardcore filtration equipment i'd be usin for an octo. Seas Splendor is pretty good. They always have good info, at least they have in my experience. Which one is Evan? the dude with the short beard that always wears a hat or the more heavy set guy?

I looked at littlemarleys threads on bobtails, didn't find too much. Just as a guesstimate, how big of a tank would they need? and since they're burrowers, how high of a tank? I know these are pretty specific questions on a species not commonly kept, but I figure if anyone knows, it's gonna be you guys.

oh man. bummer. it sounds like they could've been ok if it was just the squid. i've read that cephs can kill themselves with excessive inking. sounds like it didn't help his corals either.

those do sound pretty cool though. i cant really imagine anything besides the reef squid or the bobtails being kept at home. i have no idea where i'd get them, or how big of a tank they'd need.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back