• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can't afford a chiller

Since Im completing a 150 setup, Ive been searching craigslist, ebay, and reef central for equipment. Ive seen a few smaller chillers that can handle your tank come and go for relatively cheap. Mostly on reef central. However, theres so much traffic on that site that you will need to catch it quickly...

However, Fans can really bring a tanks temperature down, especially on smaller water volumes like yours. Id be surprised if a good fan is not enough for your cooling needs.

Yeah, I'm planning on adding a fan whether I find a chiller or not. The chiller is just so I can get the tank to a more ideal temp.

Ty,
I forgot, are you going to use an open hang on filtration system for the new tank? If so and it has a cover you might try leaving the cover off and mounting the fan over the exposed water area. Theoretically, this should give your otherwise enclosed water system a chance to loose heat before entering the tank.

dwhatley;96841 said:
Ty,
I forgot, are you going to use an open hang on filtration system for the new tank? If so and it has a cover you might try leaving the cover off and mounting the fan over the exposed water area. Theoretically, this should give your otherwise enclosed water system a chance to loose heat before entering the tank.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I'm using a hang-on filter with a cover, so I'll do that. And I'll check on that chiller, but I think that's still more than I have. Looks like I'm gonna use the fans, cause chillers are looking more and more out of the question every day. This really is an expensive hobby. Thanks for your help, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back