canadian site on somniosus microcephalus

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
Here is a Canadian site of the GEERG greenland sharkand elasmobranch education and research group.

he mission of GEERG is to study the Greenland shark and other Canadian shark species in their natural environment.

http://www.geerg.ca

This site is also in French ^^.

In this webpage http://www.geerg.ca/gshark1.htm you can see stuf about somniosus microcephalus and also a video from the web featuring Humboldt squid, small deepwater sharks (possibly lantern or kitefin), a chimaera and a very large Pacific sleeper shark (Somniosus pacificus maybe). complete video on
of course, depending on the angle of vision size perception is not the same. I'm not sure that the shark and the box are the same at the beginning of the video and at the end.

Maybe this video was already somewhere on tonmo. but the most interesting is geerg itself.

Notice that Somniosus microcephalus,Somniosus pacificus and s. antarcticus are very strange sharks with potential big longevity ( hypothesis for a 7 meters microcephalus coudl be 200 years ... wow ! at the opposite of the ceph's short life )

Pacificus seems to be one of the predators of colossal squids (but with spermwhales, this is the only one big enough to attack adults).

There are some evidences on presence of Kondakovia, Taningia, Architeuthis and Mesonychoteuthis in the stomachs of sleeper sharks ...
http://cameronmccormick.blogspot.com/2007/03/other-gigantic-squids.html site is speeking about this fact too.

Here is a bbc article (2004) about french research on sleeper shark stomach contents. : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3370019.stm

notice that in the bbc article , french researchers remain open to the possibility that the sharks scavenge dead carcasses of giant squids ...

In the infamous Japanese sleeper shark footage shown in the bottom link on the GEERG site, a very large squid held by a diver appears amongst footage of Dosidicus, I always wondered whether that might be a spent Onykia, I haven't paused the video yet at the right moment to (maybe) find out, but it always reminds me of this tolweb pic:
BigOnykia.jpg

This is the first mention of Sedna I have seen without looking for it :wink:

SEDNA
When a young Inuk girl told her father she wanted to marry a bird, he killed her fiancé and threw his daughter into the sea from a kayak. When she hung on to the side, he cut off each of her fingers until she let go. Sedna slid into the depths where she became the goddess of the sea. Each of her fingers turned into a sea creature, including the Greenland shark. The shark was entrusted with the duty to avenge the goddess and one day, it capsized the father's kayak and ate the man while he was fishing. When an Inuk dies in this fashion, the locals say the shark was sent by Sedna.

I am glad they provided a map of where the sharks reside, I used to swim in the St Lawrence as a kid :shock: but much farther inland and the water was not even brackish.

French coastal studies are concerned too, because this region (St Lawrence ) include Saint Pierre et Micquelon french islands. Sleeper sharks and white sharks can be found here.

It is also a debated fishing area between french and Canadian authorities.

It was so I picked up the link to see if there was a correctable error, found the pic, posted it under your link and both pictures showed up. I have no clue but is seems to be OK now.

Edit: but when I refreshed the page, it did not show up.

Edit: but is I right click and select show image, it reappears :bugout:

Edit: In Firefox, there is not even a place holder displayed but editing the post shows the image markings.

Edit: very flakey

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back