Can we get a consolidated Husbandry list

Mizu

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
we are seeing a nice upswing in people being able to get eggs from both Octos and Cuttles
I would like a clear cut "grocery list" of things I would need to raise a Ceph from the egg to adult and who are the suppliers of such things.
Water conditions and parameters. (same as an adult or different for the young)
This information is here but so far flung its hard to get a bead on.
Like we say we need what? Copepods for them to eat? Where do I buy 12.3 pounds of Copepods?
Rotifers? (what are they anyway ?)
that kind of thing
or at least links pointing to some ones detailed nots on such things
would be helpfull to our new Egg getting peoples

Mizu said:
we are seeing a nice upswing in people being able to get eggs from both Octos and Cuttles
I would like a clear cut "grocery list" of things I would need to raise a Ceph from the egg to adult and who are the suppliers of such things.
Water conditions and parameters. (same as an adult or different for the young)
This information is here but so far flung its hard to get a bead on.
Like we say we need what? Copepods for them to eat? Where do I buy 12.3 pounds of Copepods?
Rotifers? (what are they anyway ?)
that kind of thing
or at least links pointing to some ones detailed nots on such things
would be helpfull to our new Egg getting peoples

And when you've collected all this info, you'll write it up as a TONMO article, right? (hint, hint) :biggrin2:

AHAHAH
ME? a writer?
eh
If you want a project plan complete with time frames and deadlines and anticipated costs in both equipment and man hours then sure
:smile:

Mizu said:
AHAHAH
ME? a writer?
eh
If you want a project plan complete with time frames and deadlines and anticipated costs in both equipment and man hours then sure
:smile:

Well, I'm from the "something is better than nothing" school of references, so sure, why not.

Maybe we should set up a Wiki or something where people could do collaborative writing and editing, so people who like the details can fill in some parts and people who are more comfortable with writing can make it "read like a book."

I've been studying this problem of raising an octo from egg to adult for some time now - we're OK after they're about 3 months old because we know how to do that. Going from an egg to a 3-month old octo is much more problematic. I thought by visiting the NRCC several times and reading all I could, I'd know just how to do it, but this isn't the case.

Raising baby octos in your home tank is quite different from what the NRCC does and, for that matter, how Octopets did it. Even the food works out differently - I noticed that all the mysid shrimp collected on on wall of the NRCC tank, probably due to current and to the huge numbers of mysids that they poured into the tank. This made it easy for a hungry little octopus to find food. When I put those same tiny shrimp in my tank, they just disappeared. So what I'm saying is, we still have a lot to learn about how we can raise octopuses in our home tanks. It going to take us some time to get this right. I hope all of your who undertake some form of breeding or raising cephs from eggs will give us detailed reports of your progress which will enable us to write up a how-to document for ceph raising.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back