• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can Octos eat pond snails, and is sand better than gravel???

Hi, I was wondering if octopus can eat snails from a freshwater pond. I was also wondering if it is better to use sand as the aquarium bedding or gravel for a bimac. I used to have a bimac, and she liked burrying herself into the sand sometimes and finding clams under it too, but I was thinking it's more difficult to keep water conditions good in a tank with sand in it.
flipflop_2k

As far as sand goes i used to always use fine play sand sold sterile for kids... it works great. The lack of bufereing capacity is a problem though and you could get round it by either having coral sand in a sump or adding a few handfull sinto the tank... trial and error i'm afraid

Can a bimac eat freshwater snails - would it? That I don't know. Is it desirable? I doubt it. You don't know what you're introducing with unknow types of food like that.

The only freshwater creature we know that a bimac can successfully eat is a crawfish - and that resembles the crustaceans bimacs normally eat in their saltwater environment. Even if bimacs found pond snails tasty, the snails could not offer the same nutritional balance that a shrimp or crab or marine snail would.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back