Can I make a chiller using cold outdoor weather instead of electricity?

CaptFish;160717 said:
I don't think you want the hard board insulation, it may hold the heat in. I would cover it with good old grass.

Aye, but you do...:smile:
We're talking 6' down. Put grass or whatever you want up top. The insulation will keep the plumbing insulated FROM ABOVE, where the temp varies seasonally. Insulation only goes over plumbing, not under.

If you're serious Noah, Best to find a reputable geo-thermal guy (or gal).

A guy up here has 3, 1000g concrete septic tanks buried under his garage. They're accessible, and have stainless heat exchangers in them and are used to aid heating in winter and cooling in summer. (fairly big house) He wanted to do something geothermal, but couldn't afford 3, 300'+ drilled wells (around $20k).

I do not believe "testing" through a sprinkler system will tell you anything. Those are plumbed just below the surface where ambient temp varies. Below 4' or 5' temp should be constant 50 - 55ish. Asking / hiring the engineer is the best advice here yet.

absolutely serious. not in my current living situation though. we plan to buy another house within the next five years, so maybe i have the time to figure out all the engineering details myself.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
If 20K was close to the total cost and he would not have needed traditional heat and air, that would not be bad for a house of about 3,000 sq ft. It cost us over 6,000 to replace one of our 3 units two years ago and the cost to run them in the summer and winter is high (somewhere between $300 and $700 - this winter but not usually that high - a month).

The $20k is JUST for the well truck to come and go, leaving 3, 300+' bores in your ground.

Another interesting topic - turnkey PV electricity system - this guy in MA has a great system, and I believe the $20k system was partially paid for with government incentives of over $12k.

The overview graphs of the guys system in real time and historic.
http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/NhKN5248

The "Loaded Question" regarding cost:
Gross 21434.00
Net with all credits Fed State etc 8852.00
Annual Income from system, Minimum 1200.00 Maximum 2400.00 a year they auction your generated power to Utilities this is for 10 years so 12k to 24k back in our pockets over that time frame.

Electricity produced 4100kwh a year at .18 cents is 738.00 a year.