• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can I feed my pet octopus frozen bait food?

ai4ns

Hatchling
Registered
Hi There! I own a blue ring octopus (named Cthulhu - attached photo) and was wondering whether you could feed it frozen bait food? I have a feeling that it has a lot of crap in it (and chances are it will stink the tank up) so I have avoided it but was just wondering has anyone tried using it? and if it is actually safe to use?

I feed my octopus only live food and he has pipi's and small hermits but just thinking just as a backup if I run out of live food?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC01681.jpg
    DSC01681.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 651

Where are you located? I would think that frozen seafood for humans might be safer (then again, maybe not :roll:). You could rinse the bait in some of your sea water first.

ai4ns

Hatchling
Registered
Thanks for your reply! I am located in Sydney Australia. Smaller frozen animals are bit hard to find - especially small ones. What would the best frozen food to buy from seafood stores considering the octopus is rather small (and i would like to feed my dward lionfish the same)

Thanks

Latest Posts