Can eye color be useful in classification?

Bio Teacher

Blue Ring
Registered
By chance, I now have two octopi that both seem to be members of the Mercatoris species.

This is not an actual pic, but they both look like this:
http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/data/2/medium/Omercatorismating1small.jpg

The coloration and arm-over-the-mantle behavior seem to be indicators, as well as size.

Here's my question:
I've noticed that their eye color is somewhat golden, and all the pics of Vulgaris that I've seen the eye color is reddish. Is this useful in differentiating the two species?

Thanks!

-Dustan

Actually, if your's look like the photo (Roy's I believe) then you are likely to have more in a few months :wink:. That is a picture of a pair of Mercs mating :sly:

I can't help with the eye color question but have wondered about that myself. I know my Hummelincki can change the color around the eye opening but have seen some pictures that show a red ring around the eye that may be photo flash but still might give a clue (like the flash photos of briareus almost always showing green tint that may or may not be seen with the naked eye).

Upvote 0
Well, that's it. I'm going into the octo classification business!
I'll use the latest DNA analysis procedures and guarantee results within 7-10 business days.
Those sequencers couldn't cost that much, right? :smile:

Upvote 0
Monty, that's an amazing piece of technology NEC has there. We need to let them know there's a small but growing market for an octo version. I'm sure they'll get their engineers on that right away :smile:

D, sounds great!
As a teacher, I simply don't know what to do with all the extra cash I have lying around, hehe.

Upvote 0
Bio Teacher;111678 said:
As a teacher, I simply don't know what to do with all the extra cash I have lying around, hehe.

Easy answer:

Attachments

• conv_292364.gif
    conv_292364.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back