Can anyone identify this octopus?

jakester

O. vulgaris
Registered
Can anyone identify this octopus. I just got him from the pet store and they said it was a brown octopus. I think it might be a bimac but I am not sure. Thank you.

Attachments

• conv_304258.jpg
    conv_304258.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 203
  • conv_304259.jpg
    conv_304259.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 204
  • conv_304260.jpg
    conv_304260.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 167
  • conv_304261.jpg
    conv_304261.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 185
That is too general a question. Each "dwarf" will get a different size depending on the species. You may not even have a dwarf. My O. Hummelincki was smaller than the octopus you have now, and she's now a good 4 - 6 inches full body length. It would be best to just get some really clear photos so that it can be properly ID'd before jumping to any conclusions.

Upvote 0
Here are some more pictures...

Attachments

• conv_296674.jpg
    conv_296674.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_296673.jpg
    conv_296673.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 106
  • conv_296672.jpg
    conv_296672.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 96
  • conv_296671.jpg
    conv_296671.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
Interesting spots on the mantle. The small white ones on the side seem to be consistent and likely diagnostic. The one in the center is very unusual looking. The two common marks (that are usually white, towards the back) are black in the one photo. I still don't know what they are but they are seen in most of the photos in Norman and I have seen them on many of mine. I have posed the question as to what they represent but so far none of our biology people have made any suggestions.

One other interesting observation is how open the eyes are in the light. The buldging eyes are typical of a nocturnal but the fact that the the pupils are open that much in the lighting is either an end of life suggestion or that it is not a nocturnal. We have recorded nocturnals out during the day and wider pupils in lighting when they are close to the end but this little guy is different than any I have seen so perhaps this is not the case. I am still thinking a small octo because of the arm taper and likely adult but that is a lot of second guessing.

Upvote 0
One last possiblity comes to mind. I was looking for another octo and flipping through my book when one of the photos made me think of the first photos of your mystery octopus. Roy should be able to say Yay or Nay to this guess quickly but my final guess would be O. rubescens. Unfortunately, if it is, you will need to keep the tank cold for it to survive. The positive side it that it would likely be a young one at that size.

Upvote 0
I found that with most older animals that are unable to acquire a den will back themselves into a corner and curl their arms up and over their mantle. Is this what you are talking about?

Or check out the last video on this link, (http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20028-My-first-O.-Hummelincki/page21) and let me know if this is more of what you are referring to as keeping their legs curled.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back