Can anyone help id this fossil

lee72

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi there I'm Lee
having found this fossil on the east coast of Yorkshire I've been trying to find out what it is and came across an online picture of an ancient specimen found in France.
I realise that the holotype is the only one of its find but i still cant help but think its very very similar and perhaps of the same type or closely related. Even the rock it's in is the same type which strengthens my suspicion.
please advise

Attachments

• 2014-11-21 00.48.22.jpg
    2014-11-21 00.48.22.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 347
Hi there I'm Lee
having found this fossil on the east coast of Yorkshire I've been trying to find out what it is and came across an online picture of an ancient specimen found in France.
I realise that the holotype is the only one of its find but i still cant help but think its very very similar and perhaps of the same type or closely related. Even the rock it's in is the same type which strengthens my suspicion.
please advise

Attachments

• 20141030_002929.jpg
    20141030_002929.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20141115_032909.jpg
    20141115_032909.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 85
:welcome: to Tonmo Lee! I'm not sure if I'm seeing what you are in your rock. It's a rare thing for soft body parts to be preserved. That being said, Kevin our moderator :old: will be along and take a look!

:welcome: to Tonmo Lee! I'm not sure if I'm seeing what you are in your rock. It's a rare thing for soft body parts to be preserved. That being said, Kevin our moderator :old: will be along and take a look!
20141128_161200.jpg
20141128_161044.jpg
20141115_033436.jpg

Hi mate and thanks for taking time to help maybe these shed more light on the object in question ? I'm still working on it and as such will keep posting pictures of my progress.
If theres any part you can suggest to look for and as such maybe post me an example it maybe productive ? If i take a bit more time sometimes please be patient as I'm working 60 and 70 hour weeks trying to juggle a full time job at the local hospital with my own private work.
thanks again
lee

Attachments

• 20141128_161400.jpg
    20141128_161400.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 272
:welcome: to TONMO Lee!

I just can't seem to see anything in your rock that would point to any kind of fossil. The octopus from France is replaced with pyrite, so there is a difference between materials to help set them apart. Your rock seems to be a polished chert or something. Sorry, but I just can't see it. :frown:

Hi

I just can't seem to see anything in your rock that would point to any kind of fossil. The octopus from France is replaced with pyrite, so there is a difference between materials to help set them apart. Your rock seems to be a polished chert or something. Sorry, but I just can't see it. :frown:[/QUOTE

I just can't seem to see anything in your rock that would point to any kind of fossil. The octopus from France is replaced with pyrite, so there is a difference between materials to help set them apart. Your rock seems to be a polished chert or something. Sorry, but I just can't see it. :frown:
Hi again
and thanks to all for taking the time out to get involved.
I understand your reservations and appreciate the input but it is very hard to get across something of this nature by photography as much of what I'm seeing at this point is dependent on the lighting and angle of view . Its as unfortunate as it is frustrating for me as i have spent much time hoping to find proof of whatever is in this stone .
I stumbled upon this forum out of the blue and to be honest to tell the whole tale of my find from beach to now although fascinating is gonna have to wait until another time.
Needless to say I'm not going to give up yet as I feel I can still swing it by continued work and posting of pics so heres what it looks like now . Also it has pyrite in it im sure even though not typical of the limestone that yields many cannon balls or nodules near Whitby. That said i didn't find it as far north

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20141120_214704.jpg
    20141120_214704.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 285
  • 20141129_025055.jpg
    20141129_025055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
  • 20141129_025333.jpg
    20141129_025333.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
Hi guys
I'm sorry for the delay .

Still working on the fossil but have been kinda distracted with other finds .

I think ur gonna like this one .
found the same wknd as the other yet somehow slipped under the radar .

You must realise I'm not an octopus enthusiast prior to this event and as such hadn't really been looking in that direction .

Picked this one up from my bag of recent finds not long ago and was still blind to it until a couple of weeks ago .

Please lmk what you think

Many thanks

Lee
20150404_125009.jpg

I'm thinking it's no coincidence they were found after the unusual high tides last year I went hoping some good stuff may have been churned up this one is made of very delicate sandstone

Attachments

• 20150404_124552.jpg
    20150404_124552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back