Can anyone help ID my octo??

DocOct

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hey everyone! I’m new to TONMO. I’ve had saltwater tanks for a while but finally decided to dedicate my 55gal to an octo tank. Tank has been running for a while, setting up and finally got my octo home today from my local fish store.
He acclimated awesome, and has been active all over the tank all day even when the white lights are on! I’m looking for an accurate ID on my octo, I’ve heard “common octopus” from one shop (the one I got it at) and Caribbean reef octopus from another shop when I showed pictures. I like in south east florida near palm beach and I know his divers got the octopus from the keys if that helps. I’ll attach some pictures and videos below. Also I’m trying to determine if it’s a female or male, it’s from the tentacles I’ve read?

** also if anyone has any educated guess at how old approx. she/he currently is that would be much appreciated **

Thank you!

Attachments

• 7C3B2182-348A-4E4B-8054-05CF75BE33E0.jpeg
    7C3B2182-348A-4E4B-8054-05CF75BE33E0.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 34
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    29.1 MB
  • IMG_7530.MOV
    25.3 MB
Solution
Definitely O. briareus (Common CARIBBEAN Octopus). It looks relatively young. I would guess under 6 months but likely more than two and sexually mature since you are seeing it active with lights on. Once it is fully acclimated (roughly 1 month), you are likely to see it less in the daytime but if you make feeding time consistent, you should be able to see it daily. In the wild they are crepuscular, feeding early in the evening and early in the morning. I have not kept up the table entries for our various octopuses but look at the stickies at the top of Cephalopod Journals for some of the older experiences with this species.
Hey everyone! I’m new to TONMO. I’ve had saltwater tanks for a while but finally decided to dedicate my 55gal to an octo tank. Tank has been running for a while, setting up and finally got my octo home today from my local fish store.
He acclimated awesome, and has been active all over the tank all day even when the white lights are on! I’m looking for an accurate ID on my octo, I’ve heard “common octopus” from one shop (the one I got it at) and Caribbean reef octopus from another shop when I showed pictures. I like in south east florida near palm beach and I know his divers got the octopus from the keys if that helps. I’ll attach some pictures and videos below. Also I’m trying to determine if it’s a female or male, it’s from the tentacles I’ve read?

** also if anyone has any educated guess at how old approx. she/he currently is that would be much appreciated **

Thank you!
** update **
I’ve found out how to determine sex on another thread, looks like she’s a girl!

Upvote 0
Hi @DocOct - welcome to TONMO! The "common octopus" is usually O. vulgaris but it's well-known that this is often a "punt" from the LFS industry... i.e., it's a safe and general bet... but I'm not an expert on these things and like you, hope one will chime in... Looks healthy and vibrant in any case!

Can you tell us more about your tank? e.g., temp, etc. and what are you feeding her? Do consider starting a journal!

Upvote 0
Hi @DocOct - welcome to TONMO! The "common octopus" is usually O. vulgaris but it's well-known that this is often a "punt" from the LFS industry... i.e., it's a safe and general bet... but I'm not an expert on these things and like you, hope one will chime in... Looks healthy and vibrant in any case!

Can you tell us more about your tank? e.g., temp, etc. and what are you feeding her? Do consider starting a journal!
Thanks for the response! it's a 55 Gal, temp is 77 degree's F, she's eaten some frozen silversides but loves the emerald crabs i got. Tried to feed with her feeding stick last week and spooked her a little so i tried again the other day and she demolished one of the crabs! I will def consider starting a journal. She's been very very active around the tank from day one, no matter the time or day or light setting it seems!

Upvote 0
Definitely O. briareus (Common CARIBBEAN Octopus). It looks relatively young. I would guess under 6 months but likely more than two and sexually mature since you are seeing it active with lights on. Once it is fully acclimated (roughly 1 month), you are likely to see it less in the daytime but if you make feeding time consistent, you should be able to see it daily. In the wild they are crepuscular, feeding early in the evening and early in the morning. I have not kept up the table entries for our various octopuses but look at the stickies at the top of Cephalopod Journals for some of the older experiences with this species.

Upvote 1
Solution
You do need a place for it to sleep where you cannot see it. It needs to feel safe and if you can see it, it can see you. A conch shell or rock cave would be ideal but if you like artificial things in the tank, there are many decorations that provide a dark hiding place.

Upvote 0
I will check them out now! Thanks so much for the info, she has def. been hiding a lot more this last week during the daytime. Under her cave and rocks, still visible but not roaming around lol. I usually keep feeding time consistent around 5-6ish so its daylight and shes been gaining more trust with me. She takes food from the feeding stick no problem but today she was a little hesitant at first but then took food right out of my hand! That's a relief to hear that you think she's young, a few people have told me she's 1/2 way 3/4 through her life so it bummed me out.

Upvote 0
You do need a place for it to sleep where you cannot see it. It needs to feel safe and if you can see it, it can see you. A conch shell or rock cave would be ideal but if you like artificial things in the tank, there are many decorations that provide a dark hiding place.
I have a few live rock and a cave live rock setup she hides under fully when she wants, which she def. does during the day. ill spot just a tenticle or her skin sometimes so i know shes there and alive still lol

Upvote 0

hopefully this gives a better size determination and what not for you gauging her age. She can def be little and scrunched but sometimes she stretches like this around the tank and looks decently sized! lol

Upvote 0
I read today that in just 14 weeks after hatching the Caribbean Reef Octo. is 75% of it's full size. Makes sense in comparison to how short their lives are. Here I was thinking her size meant she was a senior citizen! lol Thanks for all the replies and insight.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there is only a sort of average for octo sizing. In reality, any animal can be fully grown at any size. Even siblings can vary greatly. Best to enjoy what shows up at your door and minimize the worrying about how much time is left. DON'T, however, stop doing research. It definitely enhances keeping them.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back