• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Camouflage and the Cuttlefish!

i do know that they will react differently if together. we have 4 tanks which are seperated so the fish will not see each other. we did think about the sides, but the tanks will actually be viewed from above.

out of curiosity, does anybody who reads this thread have a cuttlefish at this time that could possibly test patterns for me? mine will be arriving in few weeks when my tanks are all prepared for them.

we want to make this beautiful and would welcome any suggestions or information. as we aren't able to test this it makes us very nervous as we've never kept the little critters ourselves.

i do know that they will react differently if together. we have 4 tanks which are seperated so the fish will not see each other. we did think about the sides, but the tanks will actually be viewed from above.

out of curiosity, does anybody who reads this thread have a cuttlefish at this time that could possibly test patterns for me? mine will be arriving in few weeks when my tanks are all prepared for them.

we want to make this beautiful and would welcome any suggestions or information. as we aren't able to test this it makes us very nervous as we've never kept the little critters ourselves.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It may help visually but may cause a problem photographically to use actinic or other blue lighting. I have noted with several of my critters (starfish as well as octos) that the blue lighting will bring a blue/purple coloration out in what is otherwise brown (but not all browns react this way so the appearance is not at all artificial looking but it is not all due to their reflective cells either since my brown starfish turns a navy blue under the lighting.). I have also notice (anticdotally) that the presence or absence of coraline algae (purple) seemed to effect the colors my last hummelincki would show. It may be the fact there there were patches of "grey" on the live rock more than patches of the purple we see but after the urchins removed it, he showed less color patterning.

You might photograph (or find photographs of) actual live rock and sand combinations rather than manmade patterns to see if you can encourage texture. Is there a reason you must use photos and not actual rock and sand? Since you have multiple tanks you should be able to create at least two variations per tank. You might view some of the journals to see the bandensis looks already photographed and examine the background for ideas. Below are three links to get you started. :wink:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9365/

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9667/

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/8506/

continuing to study

i'm still looking into the cuttlefish, but truly the best help would be if i could see on in person and put one of our photos in a tank and see what it does. does anybody on here actually have any of the little guys that might help me out? it would truly be a work lifesaver. also i've noticed some posters are in texas. i'm going to have 4 of the little guys in a few months that i'd like to find a happy home. they will be in san antonio. any interest?

i'd really appreciate some help if anybody had a cuttle in person. would also love to aim chat with any knowledgeable cuttlefolk.

thanks again for everybody being so helpful.

Latest Posts