• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

California Marine Reserves Collection and Fishing Regulations

well, we were both partially wrong. I'm just glad we got enough clarification that we can give recommendations for people to not get in any trouble.

I combed through the regulations and statutes before I caught my bimac, and I came to the same conclusion as this thread. I have found, as was found in the thread, that law enforcement people are often incorrect when asked about laws that seldom show up in practice, and tend to say "nope that's illegal" just to be on the safe side (or to discourage activities they wish were illegal). I only use the written law to determine what is legal and what is not. Having done my homework concerning California DFG regs, I'd like to clarify and add a couple of things:

1) While the sale, barter or trade, of octopus is prohibited, it is perfectly legal to give one away for free. This law applies to everything you get with a fishing license, not just octopus, and it is a time honored common practice for fishermen to give some of their catch away to neighbors, friends, family, or whoever. If you make a business out of it, or even trade, like the tropical reef guys trade coral frags, then you are in trouble, but I can catch an octopus, and give it to anybody I want, as long as I don't get anything in return except gratitude.

2) Not only is it legal to take everything except fish away from the ocean alive, but there is a good reason for it. Lobster, muscles, and other shell fish quickly become toxic after they die, which is why it is always recommended to cook them alive. Any law to the contrary would result in food poisoning.

3) There is a specific list in the regulations of what inverts may be taken from "the intertidal zone" (tide pools) which includes octopus, but also most of the other things that you may want from your tank, or use as fresh octo food. All other inverts are protected in tide pools. See section 29.05 (b):

"...tidal invertebrates may not be taken in any tide pool or other areas
between the high tide mark (defined as Mean Higher High Tide) and 1,000 feet seaward and lateral to the low tide mark (defined as Mean Lower Low Water) except as follows:
(1) Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine conservation areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone, limpets, moon snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters, octopuses, squid, crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins and worms..."

There are size and bag limit restriction on some things (lobster, abalone, etc) but all those things may be taken from tide pools.

4) The above regulation: "you can take nothing except..." only applies to tide pools, and 1000 feet seaward. Outside of those areas, the rules are inverted: "you can take ANYTHING except...". That means that if you can find a rocky area that is more than 1000 feet away from any land or rock that is above water at low tide, then you can collect almost anything from it, even things that are not on the list above. That means you can take anemones (like strawberry anemone), sponges, gorgonians, sea stars, etc. You probably want to document where you collected these things, in case you ever need to explain that you didn't get them from the tidepools, but it is legal.

5) you are allowed to take at least 25 lbs of rocks, per person, per day in California, without a permit (except of course from a specifically protected area) That includes rocks from the beach, although any animals or plants growing on the rock are subject to the restrictions I've mentioned above). So it is legal to take cool looking rocks from the beach for your tank. You should look up the actual statute (written for rockhounds, not fishermen) and carry it around too. It's a little more complicated than I've stated here, but you can certainly grab a few bare rocks if you're not in a protected area.

6) You can get in trouble even if you are within the law. Many people feel certain that it is illegal to collect from state parts (wrong) or illegal to collect for your aquarium (wrong), and you may encounter these people when you are at the beach collecting. Some state park rangers, who have the power to give you a ticket, are in this group, so I always carry a copy of the regulations with section 29.05 highlighted, so I can show them, if confronted, that I'm not breaking the law. Additionally, there are a lot of self-righteous eco-zealots in California who will give you vicious verbal abuse and threaten to call the police if you don't stop what you are doing immediately. They might be shut up when shown the law, but more likely they will simply switch from threats of calling the cops to vehement condemnation. Be mentally prepared to be mistreated by these fanatics. I have to deal with one about 25% of the times I collect at the beach.

There are new rules regarding lobsters and you need to not only buy a license if taking buy hand at tide pools but you need to buy a lobster report card, not to mention there is a season for them too.

Could you get away with labeling yourself as a teacher, if you homeschooled your kid(s)?

cuttlegirl;129291 said:
When I lived in California, I had a Scientific Collectors' permit, if you need help filling out the paperwork, let me know, it is not that hard.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/research_permit/index.html

Never mind, you must be affiliated with a scientific organization, or a teacher...

lilalancarey;149841 said:
whos really going to catch you doing this ? dont law officials have better things to do than catch cephalopod hobbyists? lol
It is true that there aren't many DFG Game Wardens, and they tend to spend their time in higher traffic areas like boat launch ramps. That being said, I've been approached by game wardens in some extremely remote areas, so you just never know. They keep the fines high ($1000 ?) to make up for the fact that you are unlikely to get caught.
Also, any law enforcement officer can give you a ticket for violating fish and game laws, and that includes park rangers, who are often found at state beaches where you might be tidepooling.
You also need to worry about some angry beachgoer calling the cops on you.

The simple answer is to collect your octopus (or whatever) without breaking the law. Just have a fishing license, stay out of MPA's (Marine Protected Areas) and only collect animals listed as legal in the "invertebrates" section of the DFG Regulations booklet (no fish are legal to take for your aquarium)

I carry a copy of the DFG Regulation booklet with me when I collect, with the relevant parts highlighted, so that I can prove to people who ask that I'm being legal. Only DFG wardens, can be counted on to actually know the law (and maybe not all of them). Many park rangers, cops, and regular people wrongly believe that taking an octopus (among other things) for your tank is illegal, so it pays to be able to show that you are within the law.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM THE CA Dept of F&G News Release Email:

California Department of Fish and Game News Release

NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : August 19, 2010

Contact: Carrie Wilson, Communications Office, [email protected]

** Photos and all archived columns:http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/**

Question: I need to know if its legal to collect a pair of octopus for a private aquarium. I would like to use scuba to collect them in the Monterey/Santa Cruz area. (Jason K., Santa Cruz)

Answer: Octopus may be collected for a home aquarium and transported live under the authority of a sport fishing license as long as they are exclusively for that person's personal aquarium display. Maintaining live sport-taken octopus in a home aquarium is not considered "public display" and thus does not fall under the provisions of the marine aquaria pet trade (Fish and Game Code, sections 8596 and 8597). Transporting live finfish (as opposed to mollusks and crustaceans) is prohibited (CCR Title 14, Section 1.62).

Invertebrates collected under the authority of a sport fishing license may not be used to establish breeding colonies for sale or trade with other people. Any trading, selling or possession for sale or trade of these animals constitutes commercial marine aquaria pet trade activity and requires all parties to hold marine aquaria collectors permits authorizing this practice. A marine collectors permit is also required for any animals on display for the public.

Octopus may not be taken from places where it is prohibited (for example, in a marine protected area) or via scuba north of Yankee Point (Monterey County), which would rule out the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay area. For a map showing where Yankee Point is located, please see www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/central_reference_points.pdf.

That's the same information, from the same DFG person (Carrie Wilson) that was given in this thread back on Dec 15th 2008 (in post #23).

It is useful to point out that this interpretation of DFG regulations is true for any animal that may be legally taken under a fishing license, not just octopus. Octopus are one of the eighteen invertebrates that you may legally take from tidepools (some of which are subject to size limits, bag limits, etc.) The full list, and other restrictions, can be found in the Invertebrates section of the California DFG oceanSport fishing regulations booklet, Section 29.05, page 52 of the 2010-11 booklet:
"Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine conservation areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone, limpets, moon snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters, octopuses, squid, crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins and worms."

That's from tidepools, which is defined as being within 1000 feet of shore (mean high water line). Farther out than 1000 feet, you may legally take any invert that is not otherwise restricted, or specifically protected (and I haven't found any that are). For example, because bat stars are not one of the 18 species listed as legal to take from tidepools, it is a violation to take a bat star from within 1000 feet of shore. It is not a violation to take one from farther out than that. So it is legal to collect a few interesting tank mates for your octopus, as well as some live food items. Some may be collected close to shore or at low tide (shrimp, muscles, sea urchins, worms, crabs, and some snails or clams) and almost any may be collected farther than 1000 feet from shore (anemones, gorgonians, sea cucumbers, sponges, nudibranchs, zooplankton, etc. (but still no fish)).

It's a good idea to keep records (GPS coordinates?) so that you can explain where and when you collected such animals, in case a judge is ever inclined to assume that you collected it the easy way - at low tide.

Be sure to carefully read and fully understand the DFG regulations for yourself. What I've said above is true in general, but there are a few exceptions that you should be aware of. Just as an example, abalone may only be collected north of San Francisco Bay, only during certain months, and must be at least 7" long. Not knowing little gotchas like that can cost you big in fines, so read the booklet, and don't take any species of invert until you've researched it and are satisfied that it is legal to take with the method, and in the place, time, size and quantity that you are taking.

SanClementeEric;168871 said:
Invertebrates collected under the authority of a sport fishing license may not be used to establish breeding colonies for sale or trade with other people. Any trading, selling or possession for sale or trade of these animals constitutes commercial marine aquaria pet trade activity and requires all parties to hold marine aquaria collectors permits authorizing this practice
That means that you may not sell or trade an octopus (or any animal) that you collect using a sport fishing license, nor may you sell or trade any babies that come from animals collected. However, it is not illegal to give such animals away for free, as long as you don't get any form of compensation in return (money, or anything in trade). I strongly recommend against "handling fees", or "adoption" fees, or any other sneaky way to try to get around the letter of the law. If a judge thinks you received any form of compensation, even indirectly, you are in violation. I wouldn't even let anybody reimburse me for shipping because I don't want any money changing hands. If you want to give away an octopus you caught or hatched in California, and you need to ship it, I recommend you ask the recipient to set up a UPS account that you can charge the shipping to.

Ok, so obviously anyone could catch live bimacs from California, breed them, and begin selling them as a business without getting caught, since no one can stop you from taking them home for your own use, and once they are "home", no one can prove you got them from the ocean.

But, to be completely legal, what would you do? Someone mentioned that you need a Scientific Collectors permit, but it was also mentioned that you cannot obtain said permit unless you are a teacher (basically).
The law was blatantly obvious that bimacs cannot be collected with a Marine Aquaria Collector's permit.

So is there no possible way, even with an infinite amount of starting capital, for any company to legally start breeding bimacs?

(Edit: Ok, so I should add that according to the law, you ARE able to collect O. bimaculoides, as mentioned here:

"Specifically, Section 8597(b)(2)(H) states that all species of octopus may be taken EXCEPT O. bimaculatus and O. maculoides. (note - maculoides is an error - should read bimaculoides)."

This is blatantly wrong: While the intent of the law was to protect all bimacs, the intent of a law is irrelevant, legally speaking. The law specifically protects 1. O. bimaculatus and 2. O. maculoids.

Unless the law has been updated, if this went to court, you would not be charged guilty if you were collecting and selling O. bimaculoides (following all other regulations, of course).
However, I think that after this went to court, the law would probably be changed to be more proactive, which would probably mean banning all collection of bimacs in the state of California, even with a fishing permit. So in the long run, this course of action would probably hurt everyone who ever wants to own a bimac.)

This stuff can be confusing, and there are a lot of conflicting statements made, which doesn't help. I'll try to clarify:

temet vince;174731 said:
Ok, so obviously anyone could catch live bimacs from California, breed them, and begin selling them as a business without getting caught, since no one can stop you from taking them home for your own use, and once they are "home", no one can prove you got them from the ocean.
They don't need to prove you got them from the ocean. The law you would be breaking would be selling california native species without a "marine aquaria collector's permit" or "marine aquaria receiver's permit" (regardless of where you got them). And those permits specifically exclude bimacs.

temet vince;174731 said:
Someone mentioned that you need a Scientific Collectors permit
"Someone" is wrong. I can collect an octopus with a fishing license. I can then eat it, use it for fish bait, or keep it alive indefinitely, but I can't sell it, or use it for any commercial purpose.

temet vince;174731 said:
The law was blatantly obvious that bimacs cannot be collected with a Marine Aquaria Collector's permit.
So is there no possible way, even with an infinite amount of starting capital, for any company to legally start breeding bimacs?
According to a letter from DFG on the topic, I can breed them, but I can't sell the babies (but I could give them away). I think that there are places that breed them for scientific and education purposes, and I think they sell them to approved institutions (and maybe teachers), so there must be a way to get a permit to do it, at least for that market and those purposes.
If someone caught a gravid female bimac, and took her out of state, and then sold the babies while in say Texas, would it be legal? What if they bred them in Texas and sold the babies from there. It would be illegal to collect the female for a commercial purpose in the first place, so collecting her for the purpose of selling the babies would be a violation. Could you be prosecuted by Ca once you've left the state? Would selling the babies be a violation of California law, since it's not happening in Ca? I don't know The whole thing seems unethical to me, and might be illegal, and might even be actionable. It's an open question as far as I know.

temet vince;174731 said:
"Specifically, Section 8597(b)(2)(H) states that all species of octopus may be taken EXCEPT O. bimaculatus and O. maculoides. (note - maculoides is an error - should read bimaculoides)."
Yes, It's a typo, and I suspect that the judge would know that, ignore the mistake, and apply the law as if the word read "bimaculoides". I'm not a lawyer, but I strongly doubt that the wheels of justice stop turning for every typo in the code, and I certainly wouldn't challenge the law based on that typo.

I think it's more useful to point out that the section of law you quoted (8597) talks about what you are allowed, and not allowed, to take with a marine aquaria collector's permit. That section only applies to people who are collecting for the marine aquaria pet trade. It does not apply to fishermen, using a fishing license, taking animals for their own use (or to give away).

Here's how the section starts:
"8597. (a) It is unlawful for any person to take, possess aboard a boat, or land for marine aquaria pet trade purposes any live organisms identified in subdivision (b), unless that person has a valid marine aquaria collector's permit..."
It gets a little confusing when you look at the definition of "marine aquaria pet trade":
"8596. The following definitions govern the construction of this article:
(a) "Marine aquaria pet trade" means any activities connected with collecting, holding, selling, and displaying live aquatic marine life for pet, hobby, curio, or display purposes."​

Does that definition include a guy like me who's "hobby" is keeping an octopus, and "displaying" it in my aquarium at home? The answer is no, and I know that because that question was specifically asked, and answered by the DFG in the letter shown in post #23 of this thread, which says:
"1. Maintaining live sport-taken octopus in a home aquarium should not be considered "display" as used in FG sections 8596-97 re: Marine Aquaria Pet Trade. Therefore, octopus may be maintained in a personal aquarium and do not fall under the provisions requiring a Marine Aquaria Collectors permit."​

So just keep in mind that Sections 8596-8598 apply to commercial collectors, not to us. There are things we can take that they can't, including bimacs.

Joe-Ceph;174861 said:
They don't need to prove you got them from the ocean. The law you would be breaking would be selling california native species without a "marine aquaria collector's permit" or "marine aquaria receiver's permit" (regardless of where you got them). And those permits specifically exclude bimacs.

Actually, California law prohibits the sell of wild caught bimacs, or their offspring. There is no legal way for California to ban the sell of it's native species nationwide if that species is already being raised in captivity. Unfortunately, the only way I know to obtain, breed, and sell the species without breaking the law would be to A. Find them in international waters or somewhere other than the California coastline, or B. Buy them from someone who was already breeding them in captivity before the law was passed.

But no, selling Bimacs outside of California is not illegal, unless it has been made so by either the state you are selling them in, or by federal statute. Now if the octupi that you are selling are offspring of one from California post-ban, then I am not sure, and I will need to ask one of my law professors.

Joe-Ceph;174861 said:
If someone caught a gravid female bimac, and took her out of state, and then sold the babies while in say Texas, would it be legal? What if they bred them in Texas and sold the babies from there. It would be illegal to collect the female for a commercial purpose in the first place, so collecting her for the purpose of selling the babies would be a violation. Could you be prosecuted by Ca once you've left the state? Would selling the babies be a violation of California law, since it's not happening in Ca? I don't know The whole thing seems unethical to me, and might be illegal, and might even be actionable. It's an open question as far as I know.

I would have to look into this. Assuming the individual in California gave the bimac to the Texan in good faith that the Texan was not going to commercially sell the offspring, then the Californian has done nothing illegal. As for the Texan... I don't know.

Joe-Ceph;174861 said:
Yes, It's a typo, and I suspect that the judge would know that, ignore the mistake, and apply the law as if the word read "bimaculoides". I'm not a lawyer, but I strongly doubt that the wheels of justice stop turning for every typo in the code, and I certainly wouldn't challenge the law based on that typo.

The judge can't apply law that doesn't exist. You cannot legally, nor constitutionally, charge and convict someone for breaking what you meant to say instead of what you actually said. However, to be safe, I will check on this also. I'd hate to put out wrong information. In addition, like I said, I think it would ultimately be harmful for everyone involved.

Joe-Ceph;174861 said:
I think it's more useful to point out that the section of law you quoted (8597) talks about what you are allowed, and not allowed, to take with a marine aquaria collector's permit....

....So just keep in mind that Sections 8596-8598 apply to commercial collectors, not to us. There are things we can take that they can't, including bimacs.

The reason I specifically pointed out the commercial section of the law was because that was what my post was about. Thank goodness it doesn't apply to us! :smile:

Thank you for your detailed response. I really value your responses; I actually followed you over here from nano-reef.com. XD. Of course, I had browsed Tonmo before, but it has been a long, long time. You are definitely more familiar with the law than I am. I just see some interesting possible loopholes with the law that I feel warrants more investigation. I'm not saying loopholes are or are not ethical, of course!

temet vince;174863 said:
The judge can't apply law that doesn't exist. You cannot legally, nor constitutionally, charge and convict someone for breaking what you meant to say instead of what you actually said. However, to be safe, I will check on this also. I'd hate to put out wrong information. In addition, like I said, I think it would ultimately be harmful for everyone involved.

Oh how I wish that were true. Judges, especially in recent years, often rule what they want, even if the law clearly states the opposite. The main check on a judge is an appeal (or an election) so a judge can do just about whatever they want and only fear that their ruling will be overturned by another judge. In fact, it's considered proper by many, for judges to interpret the law based on the "intent" of the law, and not on the "letter" of the law, especially when those letters were clearly typos.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back