Bush Seeks Ban on Destructive Fishing

Well there are lots of great ideas (and great points) in this thread (except for the part about Monty leading an online rebellion! :goofysca:).

I guess it's all hypothetical, because there really ISN'T a robust, trusted captive bred program available right now. Someone reply to this thread when that happens!

tonmo;80434 said:
I guess it's all hypothetical, because there really ISN'T a robust, trusted captive bred program available right now. Someone reply to this thread when that happens!

Ok, here is what I see as a huge stumbling block for a captive bred program... I have three cuttles for the past 5 months, they cost me $30 plus shipping. I am spending (conservatively) $50 a week to feed them. That's $200 a month, $1000 so far (:goofysca: I never actually added it up before now!!! remind me to never, ever let hubby look at this site :bugout: ). I now have 36 eggs, so in order to break even (just on feeding costs!), I have to sell the eggs for $30 a piece (assuming I keep three to keep breeding). Now that is not a terrible price, but not all female cuttles produce this many eggs, some cuttles don't survive and of course there is the start up cost of the tanks and maintenance and electricity... So basically I'm losing money... I think I will stay out of the captive breeding and just keep my three little, cute, expensive cuttles...

On the upside, I am giving Thales 15 of my eggs so he can start a captive breeding program :biggrin2:

You folks don't really know me that well as I haven't been posting here long, but from what I've noticed since I started in this hobby is I think for the most part, the aquarium hobby community is doing what they can about conservation of our ocean life. Every aquarium book, and just about every magazine article, in some way or another makes a point of addressing conservation issues. We let it be known that Mimics and Wunderpus' shouldn't be purchased because of the past experiences and lack of information, this could eventually have a positive effect on the trade, much more so than no advice at all.

These things are some of the oldest species on Earth, and being they are in the ocean, which human kind knows relatively VERY LITTLE about, I think they are pretty well protected. Of course this is only my observation, based on what I've read on the WWW, books, and seen on Animal Planet, Discovery, etc. I could be wrong. When I started this hobby a friend of mine said "You know what you should get? An Octopus!" and I immediately searched the web for captive keeping Octopi. I had no idea it was possible. I found this site, I found other sites. And here I am two years later finally owning one, praying I do it as much justice as I intended to when I started researching two years ago. We are doing what we can. You people are doing a great job. I try to share as much solid information as I can with other people when they show interest in this hobby. Don't change a thing, other than, as mentioned.... get a captive-bred program going. I wish I could myself. That's my dream. One of these days perhaps.

Liveaquaria.com lists Aquacultured Cuttlefish and Octopus on their site. They also have a "No guarantee" statement to go with them that I see as a pretty good way of deterring unfit people from ordering them. I sure wouldn't spend the money after reading that it's better to go to an expert or even a zoo, if I didn't have the confidence from my experience.

Man is his own worst enemy. I see a lot of Hummers driving around. They get HORRIBLE gas mileage, plus I'm sure insurance and car payments on those things are ridiculously excessive. This is something that drives me insane. Look at it one way, Hey, they're doing us a favor. Burning up gas faster so we'll have to find better, more efficient resources sooner. Catch 22. You can't ban Hummers I guess. I drive a Honda Civic, it gets almost 40 miles a gallon, and in that I feel I'm doing the world a small favor.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back