Bubbles or no bubbles

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Thanks for this information, Jean - so even an airlift isn't safe for octopuses. Better to oxygenate in other ways.

Nancy

Alright, heres my issue... I have a 75g set up with a fluval 404 canister filter. Its got an intake and outtake but no air in between. I have a power head that is pretty octo proof and between that and the outtake it makes a pretty nice current. i have an air block made of wood with a little pump connected to it that was for a ten gallon tank. I an new to owning a octopus and hear that air is an important issue with the octo having 3 hearts and all. My octo hangs out in the bubbles everyday. He does not spend a lot of time in them but it makes it a point to go thru them and sit for a while. After reading this i took the air block out but am now worried about lack of air in the water. Should i be and is so whats the best way to fix the problem?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Octos like bubbles, whether or not they're good for them.

What you might add is a protein skimmer, which would help in general keeping your tank in good shape and help oxygenate the water. We recommend protein skimmers for all octopus tanks.

Nancy

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Jean;85208 said:
We had an air lift in the octopus tank a few years ago (after a refit) it was OK but we had an octopus who liked to sit at the surface and it got air in the mantle and died. It seemed incapable of expelling the air and couldn't submerge properly and thus couldn't hunt, it ended up exhausted from trying to submerge. We tried to treat it by submerging it in a pot (this often works with fish with swim bladder issues and seahorses with bubble disease) but it was no good. We now have no bubblers of any sort in the tank and rely on water movement to keep it aerated.

I would remove the wand.

J

I made an airlift that has undergravel filter protection screens (the kind normally at the top of the UG uplift) on both the top and bottom. The top is pretty even with the surface.
Jean, did the airlift you mentioned above meet at the water surface and did the occy got air in its mantle from the air lift or from hanging out at the surface?

RR

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Thales;91065 said:
I made an airlift that has undergravel filter protection screens (the kind normally at the top of the UG uplift) on both the top and bottom. The top is pretty even with the surface.
Jean, did the airlift you mentioned above meet at the water surface and did the occy got air in its mantle from the air lift or from hanging out at the surface?

RR

Could be either, the point was the flow of bubbles attracted him to a fatal position in the tank, whether the air in the mantle came from being at the surface or from the lift.

I'm inclined to think it was the lift tho' we've had several who habitiually sit at the surface (& leave the tank :mad: ) but had no air in the mantle porblems.

J

Latest Posts