• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Briareus for sale on Liveaquaria.com Diver's Den

Liveraquaria Diver's Den is "what you see is what you get" and LA.com does a great job at acclimating/caring for their Diver's Den specimens prior to being put on their site for purchase. I have purchased fish from Diver's Den and have been very pleased with the quality (of the fish as well as customer service). They are describing this specific octo as what looks to be a young briareus for sale:

LiveAquaria® - Octopus briareus

It could be a merc... I am certainly no expert and just went with what they described it to be. I do know LA.com attempts to "correctly" ID all Diver's Den listings and they do welcome clarification of an incorrect ID when it is wrong.

I don't remember ever seeing eyelid coloring on the mercs (Greg?) and I know briareus can color its lids. The proportions look unusual for either but I suspect that is more camera angle. Both have bug eyes at that size (see Kalypso's first video). I would be inclined toward the briareus or possibly a different species (if the arm/mantle length is not a foreshortening).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back