[Octopus]: Brainiac II - Callistoctopus aspilosomatis

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Other members (but not me) have actually seen this species be active under daylight conditions but since this is a change for Braniac I suspect it is not a good sign. I can't tell a lot from the photos but this one could suggest a problem because of the lack of color and the arm position (showing possible suggestion of cork screwing).

I am surprised that the leather was a problem but linkia rarely survive. The prevailing thought is in the handling before it reaches the home aquarium but I don't think anyone really knows. More often than not they disintegrate (more so than others but it is common with stars from Indonesia). The only stars I have had that have lived for a year or more have been the less attractive Caribbean varieties. My best luck is with serpents so I tend to avoid starfish altogether and stick with the animals that I find survive for multiple years.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
If it was only that he was out during daylight I would welcome that as a new behaviour, but it's the fact that he has been just keeping still in one place all the time, and then the activity with his tentacles started. I am wondering if he could have caught some kind of disease or something from one of the corals?

I uploaded a photo showing his tentacles:

[photo="medium"]3247[/photo]

Also caught it on video:

I turned the light off once I realized he was going to be out all day and that something was wrong. Getting ready to do another water change hoping that will improve things.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Not looking good. Here is a link to Puddles natural senescent end that you can use for comparison. Nothing (with the possible exception of the linkia deterioration) you have mentioned should have been harmful but we really don't know a lot about what effects them.

There are a few gill parasites that hobbyists would not be able to detect but little else (outside of water quality) is known to make them ill. I lost Zilch (nautilus) just after adding some gorgonian and still wonder if the epoxy hastened his demise. He had an infection on his hood so I will never be sure but strongly do not feel that the corals themselves had an impact. We still have much to learn. It is part of the challenge and much of the frustration of keeping saltwater tanks.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Yes, that video is unfortunately very similar. How very sad :frown:

Not accepting the end just yet, but it seems pretty likely. The linkia was out of the tank pretty quickly once I was sure it was actually dead, and I did a 50% water change. I think it has something to do with the umbrella leather coral...that thing turned foul after it died and no doubt polluted the water...

I just wonder if he possibly got infected somehow...given the way his tentacles are falling apart I wonder..

Well, I will do everything I can to save him or make his end peaceful. We didn't get to bond to the level of hand interaction, but it's been an amazing experience up to this point. Sad it is (potentially) ending so soon. The crab continues to survive :\

I hate seeing him slowly deteriorate...seem like he is suffering badly :frown:

Another reason I think it might be the coral is because his symptoms didn't start until I put it in the main tank on Wednesday night. Tuesday he was out as normal.

Last edited:

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Well, 2AM now and I just did a 30% water change and made sure everything was clean, and he does seem to be doing better.

He was so lethargic and is at least moving a bit more now, although his tentacles still look very damaged..kind of burned looking.

I will upload some more photos and videos later. For now I am just hoping he can maybe survive. Offered him shrimp, but he didn't take it.

I put my crab in the sump just to be safe so nothing can harm him if he is vulnerable.

Hoping when I wake up I see no trace of him until the night time.

Last edited:

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Well, he is still alive, and in better shape then he was but still looking bad.

Still, any improvement is good and gives hope. His mind, as far as I can tell, still seemed fine, he just seemed weak and injured.

I know these animals have great healing properties, so hoping with the perfect water he has plenty chance to heal and comes back.

I'm going to be awake the next week so hoping everything goes smoothly and I come back to find him doing well.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Brainiac II is no longer with us.

I was hoping he was going to make it because he had stopped being out in the daylight, was moving more, and had stopped doing strange stuff with hsi tentacles.

They still looked bad but other than that he seemed ok, better than he was.

Saw him hanging out on a wall earlier on, didn't see him most of the night and saw him in the morning being eaten by crabs.

He is still mostly whole and I am attempting to preserve him.

I am 99% the gooey, dying coral killed him. The timing is just too close, and it makes sense if it could have released a toxin or something while it was dying.

As careful as I was, I wasn't careful enough :frown:

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
:sad: - I am sorry @Pennyworth - that's a rough turnabout. Thank you for sharing him with us!
Thank's Tony.

It was very sad...I wanted one for so long and to actually see their intelligence and personality first hand....

It was amazing just how shy he was and the entire process of him warming up and getting to trust me, then to see him suffer like that...aye.

I will upload some more videos and photos I have of him being sick, since it may be beneficial and help to learn more about what to avoid in keeping these delicate creatures.

I really do believe it was the coral dying that affected him....what I would like to know more about is just why that happened. The coral was not dangerous or anything, but for his tentacles to degrade the way they did, so suddenly, something had to have affected him like that...

However, it was my pleasure to share what I could with the community. It was only possible for me to have had this experience due to the help and support of this community, and so a thank you to all and especially you sir, for running this site :smile:

Latest Posts