BP Oil Spill Live Video Feed is a Squid Cam

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Thanks to Pat F. for emailing me with this info.

The BP Oil Spill live video stream happens to capture a number of squid on a fairly common basis. Here's an excerpt from our email exchange (I witnessed some of this myself):

How often does one get a live video feed of sea life from 5,000 feet underwater? :smile:
The trick is figuring out what size the squids are; without one getting silloueted against something where you can make a guess at size, you can't tell if they are tiny and very close to the camera, or larger and a few feet away.

From the few I've gotten a halfway decent look at and a nice view of a comb jelly that showed up this morning, I think they are very small in size - the majority just two to six inches long overall, probably considerably smaller than a loligo. You can see them eject ink occasionally.

A few minutes ago a larger one that was bright pink in color went by, that looked to be around a foot long.

If you watch the video at night, you can see some sort of a very small creature that looks like a comma on its side go by on occasion.

The appearance is similer to that of an argonaut, but it looks small even for one of those, and the depth seems too deep.

The types and numbers of creatures visible increase dramaticly once it's night over the Gulf.

Pat

We're also discussing the disaster itself in this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back