BottomTrawling.com

I was reading a book I found on my shelf... "The Silent World" by Jacques Y. Cousteau written in 1950. He decided to watch a trawl net under water...

"Perched above the grassy floor I saw the towline of the net arrive. It looped back to the rigid gate which scraped along the bottom, breaking down grasses and spreading destruction to the tiny creatures of the prairie. Fishes leaped away like rabbits running from a reaper. The vast envelope of net passed me, puffed up with water. The broken grass arose slowly in the track of destruction. I was astonished to see how many fish escaped the monster, and how much it destroyed of future fish stocks and pasturage. Man's method of undersea farming seemed to consist of blighting the acre while reaping a small part of the crop."

So over 50 years ago, he noted the destructive forces of bottom trawling and yet in continues today... sad, huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back