• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bottom line for my Octo-Economy?

Colin,

I think I remember when you had posted a little bit about using the water cooler chiller. I was really interested because it sounds a lot more economical than a full-blown Aquarium chiller.

I know I've read a whole bunch of "Dude, it won't work." when it comes to using a college fridge as a chiller.

Please, let us all know how this is working and post some pics. All the detail you can offer would be greatly appreciated I'm sure - esp. because it can prolong the lives of our cephs and save us lit. hundreds of dollars vs. a standard chiller.

Thanks,

Kip

Re: Bottom line for my Octo-Economy?

O. Eye said:
Because you love cephs...I love you. :P I hope you're cool with that.

ANYWAY!

I'm hunting for some kind of bottom line.

My first set up costs like $30. At the time I was 16 and had a lot of time to devote to learning all I could and halling heavy buckes of real seawater around but almost no capital. All of my kit was home made or from a garage sales. You can make a protein skimmer out of a plastic soda bottle and a butter dish. . . I learned the hard way that an undergravel filter is not such a good idea if you ever want to see your octopus. The two octopuses that I kept in that system did well and eventully laid eggs.

cephjedi said:
I'm not sure what's up with the ceph list. I few of my recent submission didn't seem to go out to the community, and there's almost no or little traffic there. In fact JW was the last poster and I think he mentioned that the ceph list would be undergoing a sudden evolution- I think the human moderator system was getting on said moderator's nerves. I don't think James will let it die.

In the meantime, we do have TONMO, and FWIW, I think the whole site as well as this message board just rocks for newbies and veterans alike.
My hat's off to all those involved in making the TONMO machine run.

Cheers, Jimbo

Ceph List and TCP are undergoing a radical change. Or will be one I#m back from vacation in the Red Sea and Austria.

well, maybe we spoke (typed?) too soon? I got a message from CephList today and seems like we may be in for something new eh?

And I also see James is back again... Hi James!

:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back