• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Bottom line for my Octo-Economy?

cephjedi

GPO
Registered
You're not kidding Nancy! This is how I scored my 75 gallon aquarium and W/D system!

Another great tip is to look for supermarkets that are going out of business- the lobster tanks are VERY expensive units with industrial size chillers. If you're in the right place at the right time, you can score one for about a hundred bucks. You could keep O. rubescens or any other cold water ceph in one. You know, given how small most octopuses remain in captivity, I bet you could keep a GPO in a large one.

Cheers, Jimbo

O. Eye

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ooooo! Is anyone actually keeping a ceph in a lobster tank right now or has done it in the past? That is so perfect! The we have in our Wal-Mart would be perfect. It's pretty big, but it's round and clean looking...I'm really curious to find out if anyone is pulling this off. What a creative idea!

This is just another reason I'm glad I participate in these groups!

Merry Christmas!

Kip

cephjedi

GPO
Registered
I got the idea from someone on the ceph list about two years ago, who had in fact scored a $3000 self contained chilled and filtered lobster tank from an out-of business supermarket for a little over $100 bucks and was keeping an Octopus rubescens in it.

These units are great for labs, but tend to be large, odd sized and ungainly, and thus not usually welcome additions to the home.

Though neat looking and unquestionably cool, it should be noted that the O. rubescens, the red octopus (one of the primary species, I understand, that winds up on rice at sushi restaurants) carries a nasty venom. Though not lethal like the little blue rings, a good sized red octo bite will paralyze a large mans arm for a week, and leave permanent neurolgical damage behind. Giant Pacifics are mind-bogglingly cool, but they are BIG and can be VERY strong. As with most large invertebrates, they also aren't terribly active unless being fed.

Cheers, Jimbo

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Another tip is to phone up those companies that hire out those water vending machines for offices etc! I got my chiller for £20 and it works great! it could handle a few gallons i reckon too. It is approx 24"x12x18 and could actually do 2 tanks as it has twon inlets and outlets :smile:

Some pubs still have their old chiller lying about too.

Speaking of CephList Jim................ I havnt had a thing for ages... Is it dissolving? :?

C

cephjedi

GPO
Registered
I'm not sure what's up with the ceph list. I few of my recent submission didn't seem to go out to the community, and there's almost no or little traffic there. In fact JW was the last poster and I think he mentioned that the ceph list would be undergoing a sudden evolution- I think the human moderator system was getting on said moderator's nerves. I don't think James will let it die.

In the meantime, we do have TONMO, and FWIW, I think the whole site as well as this message board just rocks for newbies and veterans alike.
My hat's off to all those involved in making the TONMO machine run.

Cheers, Jimbo

O. Eye

Cuttlefish
Registered
Colin,

I think I remember when you had posted a little bit about using the water cooler chiller. I was really interested because it sounds a lot more economical than a full-blown Aquarium chiller.

I know I've read a whole bunch of "Dude, it won't work." when it comes to using a college fridge as a chiller.

Please, let us all know how this is working and post some pics. All the detail you can offer would be greatly appreciated I'm sure - esp. because it can prolong the lives of our cephs and save us lit. hundreds of dollars vs. a standard chiller.

Thanks,

Kip

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
Re: Bottom line for my Octo-Economy?

O. Eye said:
Because you love cephs...I love you. :P I hope you're cool with that.

ANYWAY!

I'm hunting for some kind of bottom line.
My first set up costs like $30. At the time I was 16 and had a lot of time to devote to learning all I could and halling heavy buckes of real seawater around but almost no capital. All of my kit was home made or from a garage sales. You can make a protein skimmer out of a plastic soda bottle and a butter dish. . . I learned the hard way that an undergravel filter is not such a good idea if you ever want to see your octopus. The two octopuses that I kept in that system did well and eventully laid eggs.

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
cephjedi said:
I'm not sure what's up with the ceph list. I few of my recent submission didn't seem to go out to the community, and there's almost no or little traffic there. In fact JW was the last poster and I think he mentioned that the ceph list would be undergoing a sudden evolution- I think the human moderator system was getting on said moderator's nerves. I don't think James will let it die.

In the meantime, we do have TONMO, and FWIW, I think the whole site as well as this message board just rocks for newbies and veterans alike.
My hat's off to all those involved in making the TONMO machine run.

Cheers, Jimbo
Ceph List and TCP are undergoing a radical change. Or will be one I#m back from vacation in the Red Sea and Austria.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
well, maybe we spoke (typed?) too soon? I got a message from CephList today and seems like we may be in for something new eh?

And I also see James is back again... Hi James!

:smile:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellvn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak