• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

bobtail squids!!!

scooter

Cuttlefish
Registered
one of my profeesors knows another professor who breeds these little guys. we want to get some for our invert tank at school and i quote from him, "if a couple of them end up in your tank at home, sometimes that happens". how cool is that!?! :mrgreen: so, what i need to know is all the basic care info for these little guys. and if they can go with other inverts like shrimp, crabs, etc. thanks in advance. this is going to be so cool. :jester:

Re: bobtail squids!!!

scooter said:
one of my profeesors knows another professor who breeds these little guys. we want to get some for our invert tank at school and i quote from him, "if a couple of them end up in your tank at home, sometimes that happens". how cool is that!?! :mrgreen: so, what i need to know is all the basic care info for these little guys. and if they can go with other inverts like shrimp, crabs, etc. thanks in advance. this is going to be so cool. :jester:

Very cool! They can go in with other inverts if you don't mind one or other becoming dinner!!!! Most cephs dine on crustaceans and can tackle surprisingly large prey! If some "follow you home" it would be as well to read up the ceph care articles on this site. Much of what is true for octi's is so for these as well (eg no copper!!!) In addition these will need sand to bury in. Be aware that they are likely to be nocturnal.

Do you know what species??????

Oh and :welcome: Scooter!!!!!

J

NIce! :heee: I tried keeping a bobtail lsquid so far no luck though... And I havnt seen one in a whil... Steve O'SHea was goona help me make a a tank but... Hmmm.. Well good luck!

Bobtail squid aka Euprymna

I have helped culture and raise these guys for a several years. If it moves and is the same size as them or smaller they will try to eat it. They are nocternal and will perfer a fine substrate to hide under during the day. They don't seem to need a big aquarium. If you need any other info. let me know

marinebio_guy, any info at all would be great. we are trying to amass everything we can on these guys. any recomendations for tank size, filtration, etc. would be great.

Tank size depends on how many animals you have. Since they do not move around a lot you could keep one in somthing around 20 g I would have enough sand in the bottom for them to cover up with ~1in or more. I would not keep them with any fish or mobile carniverous inverts. due too them either being eaten or bothering the squid. I would have ample unobstructed sand for them to move around on. Any good filtration will work, lighting does not matter. You you want toobserve them when they come out at night I would have a moon light or a red light. It would alsobe helpful to know what species you have most likely scalopes or tazmanica.

If you need more info let me know.

Are they Rossia pacifica or Euprymna scolopes? E. scolopes has flourescent bacteria, but R. pacifica lives 1-2 years. (E. scolopes lives only 3-10 months from egg to death.)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back