• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

bobtail squid

jkprules

Cuttlefish
Registered
hey. im hoping to get my hands on a bobtail squid but i'm out on the east cost. anyone have a suggestion on how or where to get one?

I know this is a little dated, but you could try wetpetshawaii.com

The collector can get some weird stuff sometimes

I have chatted with the owner of wetpetshawaii.com, and he has confirmed that he has seen them on night dives, and will collect them for $30 an animal, and for four, it will be around $130 for the four animals and shipping:smile:

Also, i contacted longarmlabs.com, and they aren't breeding cephs of any kind for a year or so due to some kind of financial issues, so go with the confirmed source, wetpetshawaii.com:old:

I would argue more strongly than that and ask anyone to refrain from, or at least spend some extra thought on collecting specimens from habitats as limited in their scope as the shallows surrounding Pacific Islands. Hawai may look big, but it's in a fragile balance. Moreover, more than 50% of the collected specimens are statistically not going to make it, so for every short lived spectacle in your tank, there will be an equal number of pointless and untimely deaths.

ob;136475 said:
I would argue more strongly than that and ask anyone to refrain from, or at least spend some extra thought on collecting specimens from habitats as limited in their scope as the shallows surrounding Pacific Islands. Hawai may look big, but it's in a fragile balance. Moreover, more than 50% of the collected specimens are statistically not going to make it, so for every short lived spectacle in your tank, there will be an equal number of pointless and untimely deaths.

Well said, I have had these come as sub's before and NEVER had one arrive alive, Its best to leave them be IMO.

Well put, ob. A biologically and medically important species like Euprymna scolopes should be observed in its own habitat, incurring the least risk to an already fragile animal.

What if you intend to breed them? Most of the labs that have bred them use cups and aerators which kind of points to them being fairly hardy animals, and if you intend to breed them, then they won't be a temporary tank decoration. Considering Hawaiians use them for bait and food, taking a few for an aquarium seems much less damaging. I also don't think it's any worse than taking any other animals from the wild. But I do agree, as with any animal purchase, lots of research and planning is the most responsible course of action as many species are threatened even though they aren't officially listed as such.

Spinycheek, captive bred is almost always a good idea, provided you have the expertise (which I assume you have, by the way)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back