• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

blue ringed octos

other than the fact that they can kill you(which is a big thing to consider) :sad: do these animals make good captive and are they really aggresive compared to ather octos

HI Roy,

Interesting article. Your daughter had a very lucky escape! When I was visiting Hobart one of the researchers there had some in tanks (VERY secure lids!) & I remember thinking that the postures all looked very aggro.

I wonder if it's a size thing? We keep small Octis here (Dunedin NZ) They're in the Octopus complex (likely to be O.warringa ) and they are waaaay more inclined to bite than the bigger spp.

Just a thought....but I wouldn't ever keep a BR in a home aquarium.

J

Interesting read...and yes, I would only recommend keeping BR octos if you are doing research...having kept them before for a photo study, they really aren't that fun to keep, not at all like a bimac.
Jean brings up a good point...the little brown octopus that we collect now and again bites like crazy, in fact, will sometimes go waaaay out its way to do so...maybe it is a Napolean complex?

Cousteau commented on this while diving with o. dofleini in Puget Sound. He was quite happy that the giants were nothing like his hometown o. vulgaris in temperament; if so, they would be extremely dangerous. I've noticed the same thing with tiny dogs.

Erich

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back