• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.
Beautiful
tempImagebxoeza.jpg

P.S
He ate 4th hermit crab this week.

NO2 0 ppm (Salifert), JBL shows 0,1-0,2 ppm, API 0 ppm
NO3 10-15 ppm (JBL)
KH 9
pH 8,2
PO4 0,05

salinity 1,026 / 35 ppt
temperature 25 C

Attachments

• tempImage4aGrkz.png
    tempImage4aGrkz.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 61
  • tempImageXz7dQI.png
    tempImageXz7dQI.png
    11.8 MB · Views: 60
Sadly to say one of my octos got into the powerhead 2 weeks ago - my fault :disrelieved:. And today despite all the parameters being ideal the second one died for an unknown reason.

However, yesterday evening I noticed a strange behavior of an octopus - he was sticking to a glass in a strange manner, not hiding in the cave as he had usually done at this time of the day.

So, I'am going to send my water for an ICP test to Germany to find if there were any heavy metals (I still had CupriSorb and carbon, but whatever).

The only clue I have is that I was using GFO in a reactor, so probably some part of it may tumbled and released aluminum... As for other reasons I was in the process of changing my salt to tropic marin bioactif, but I don't think it matters.

I'am very upset and eager to find the cause of his death. Now I want to order either 2 blue rings or 2 mimics. But, beforehand I will wait for an ICP test.

Still waiting for ICP test.

Today noticed that while putting a finger a little tingling sensation of electric current. However all my fish, corals and heteractis anemone are alive. However, dunno if octopus is more sensitive for it.

Gonna check stray voltage with multimeter.

Still waiting for ICP test. Today noticed that while putting a finger a little tingling sensation of electric current. However all my fish, corals and heteractis anemone are alive. However, dunno if octopus is more sensitive for it.
It doesn’t sound ideal, no matter what! Certainly worth investigating.

I have measured voltage in the sump by using multimeter. It shows 0,06 V. So, it wasn't probably the root of octo passing away.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
My ICP test is ready. I attach the file to this post and encourage you to check it.

To summarize I had some trace elements higher than normal range: aluminum amount was 2x higher than it should be (probably GFO made an impact), also sulphur was 990 as compared to 950 being a higher border, as I read it inhibits c oxidase in marine invertebrates causing anoxia.

Manganese was 33% higher than normal.
Barium was 20% higher.
Tin was 30% higher.

Also, during the days when octopus died I had lower salinity than usual equal to 1,024 ppt
During that time I had slightly elevated NO2 approx. equal to 0,1-0,2 ppm

I suppose that the combination of elevated levels of some heavy metals and lowered salinity plus nitrite toxicity were the cause of death.

I hope that for some of you this will be a good insight. :smile:

Attachments

• analysis-3427.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 57
Finally, I received new blue-rings! And 2 more are coming to increase chance of successful breeding.

I made several upgrades to my system, so now I have 0 ppm NO2, 5ppm NO3, 0 ppm copper according to Salifert. Water hardness is 1,025 / 35ppt. Temp 25 C.

This week I'am going to order a new ICP water test to exclude any factors potentially affecting my octo's health :smile:
IMG_1507.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1508.MOV
    55.3 MB

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back