blue ring octo venom

Don't know for sure whether to post this here or to start a new thread, since it's so closely related. Feel free to remove this sections and open a new thread with this if that would be more appropriate...

Does anyone know wxactly how a Blue ring delivers its venom?

I've hear accounts where victims didn't realize they'd been bitten and I've seen footage of Blue rings "blowing" their venom at potential prey ("Incredible Suckers", the blue ring vs. mantis shrimp segment).
I've also heard there generally aren't bite marks or an obvious envenomation site.

Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks!

Jean;88681 said:
BR toxin is deadly and related to tetrodotoxin (like a puffer fish). The saliva contains maculotoxin (the tetrodotoxin look alike!), 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine.

The maculotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and sometimes respiratory arrest leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is created by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus.

There is no anti venom and treatment requires that the patient be placed on a respirator until the venom is flushed from the body. Tetrodotoxin poisoning can result in the victim being fully aware of his/her surrounds but unable to breathe. So you need to carry out CPR even if the victim is not responding..........they could still be alive!

The blue-ringed octopus is currently the most toxic known sea creature, it carries enough poison to kill 26 adult humans within minutes.

Nasty stuff!!

J
i may be mistaken, but isnt it the most deadly animal period?

chris

Not sure, I think there are some snakes right up there with it!

The venom is delivered to humans via a bite! These are small octopus and the nip is usually unfelt and very small. The saliva is created (by bacteria) in the salivary glands and transferred to the victim when they are bitten, or the octi can "spit" as Michael mentions.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back