• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bites and Shellfish Allergies

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
I am posting a pre-bite question, if there is another thread for this please by all means move this. Anyway, as some of you know I am setting up my tank now for my first octo. As far as the bite probability: I am allergic to shellfish, specifically the iodine. I am guessing I must be nuts to try octo husbandry? :bugout:

Yeah, alot of people are allergic to "shellfish" but the actual part or reason for the allergy is the iodine that is created in them. My concern is that the inking that an octo does is iodine right? as well as the diet of an octo being so much shellfish-its bite and toxin might contain some of the same elements. If I have just a forkfull of crab meat I would end up in the hospital or a whole lot worse.. :frown:

I'm allergic to iodine (although not seafood, I just don't like it!) and react to topical iodine such as betadine, I've never reacted to the animals we keep be they fish, seastars or whatever. I HAVE reacted to octopus bite but it was a quite different reaction to the one I get from iodine. Solution.......wear gloves!!! And I tend to handle our midget octopus with a fine mesh net......it's really better for them too.

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back