Biological programs.......

andrewking

Hatchling
Registered
Hi I am Andrews; I want to know join some course in biology, should I directly begin to persue the biological science and what procedure I have to take for AP, IB or A levels credits count in biology programs. If any one know about it reply me
Thanks in advance

Hi Andrew :welcome:

What you take depends a bit on where you are, since you mention A levels, I'll assume you're a Brit!

You need to take the sciences, biology and chemistry in particular. Also Statistics! It's a sad fact but we can't escape stats (I would if I could :roll: ) the earlier you take it the better!!!

J

Microbiology, Biotechnology, Sports Biomedicine, Genetics, Immunology, essentially the boring Bio subjects with the painfully excessive amounts of numbers and stats are the well paying ones. I did zoology, and am now a seasonal countryside ranger; (although it's only 4 months), the forest is my office, the public my clients and the fresh air my perks.

Job satisfaction? Well, I'm only in training just now, but I just need to look out at the scenery.

Pay? It's OK, not loads, but good enough just now. Money isn't everything; you have to think about what position you'd rather be in: A job that pays good, but the job sucks, or a job where the pay's adequate- you can live comfortably, but it's a job you love. Remember you're working for a heck of a long time.

Crombie2.jpg

Crombie3.jpg

Pics of one of the country parks I'll be working at (since I'll be doing a bit of relief work). Second one's too dark and doesn't do the Scottish scenery justice (some of the best in the world:wink:), but they were taken from a phone camera.

If you want money, don't do Marine Biology, zoology, conservation biology........do the High Tech stuff as Graeme suggests, However, if you want enough to live on, job satisfaction and visits to cool places then any of the former will work!

Check out the places I've been taking my 3rd year Marine Ecology students!

Pics 1 & 3 are a local rocky shore called Allan's Beach, the middle one is a tidal inlet (Papanui Inlet).

J

Attachments

• conv_290742.jpg
    conv_290742.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 74
  • conv_290744.jpg
    conv_290744.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 64
  • conv_290743.jpg
    conv_290743.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 65
Graeme;93685 said:
Microbiology, Biotechnology, Sports Biomedicine, Genetics, Immunology, essentially the boring Bio subjects with the painfully excessive amounts of numbers and stats are the well paying ones. I did zoology, and am now a seasonal countryside ranger; (although it's only 4 months), the forest is my office, the public my clients and the fresh air my perks.

Job satisfaction? Well, I'm only in training just now, but I just need to look out at the scenery.

Pay? It's OK, not loads, but good enough just now. Money isn't everything; you have to think about what position you'd rather be in: A job that pays good, but the job sucks, or a job where the pay's adequate- you can live comfortably, but it's a job you love. Remember you're working for a heck of a long time.

Crombie2.jpg

Crombie3.jpg

Pics of one of the country parks I'll be working at (since I'll be doing a bit of relief work). Second one's too dark and doesn't do the Scottish scenery justice (some of the best in the world:wink:), but they were taken from a phone camera.

Thanks for your suggestion...I need more suggestion,so that i can get better ideas

Hey!
Please tell a bit more about your jobs, Jean and Graeme! How did you get there, what exactly do you do and so on.
The End of my diploma is already in sight, so im very pleased to hear from anyone, who has the kind of job, i´ve ever dreamed of :wink:
Greets!
Jonas

Hi Major Mess and :welcome: I'm a PhD student soon to be ex, well once I do my corrections and get the thing bound! I have been working as an aquarium educator at our small public aquarium (www.otago.ac.nz/marinestudies) where we are jacks (or jills) of all trades! We do husbandry, education programmes for all ages and front of house etc etc. The dept employs a lot of grad students in the aquarium but also locals with enthusiasm and knowledge (thus you don't actually need a degree to work with us). However for the last few months I have been 'seconded' (doesn't that sound posh!) to work as a teaching fellow for our undergrad papers and one of our postgrad ones (for that you do need a degree!www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience) come 1st of June and the end of semester I head back to the aquarium. A TF is a teaching assistant for the lecturers, I mark assignments (:twisted:) go on field trips with students, help students with problems, liase between them and other staff, help teach in lab sessions, write lab manuals, make sure all the gear required is there, book buses and so on.....it's been quite stimulating!!!!

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back