Bimac Update

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
My Bimac is doing so well :biggrin2: . It hunts and feeds on its own and is not afraid to come out in the open during the day. It has gotten huge! I put some large Mollies in the tank last night and this morning I watched as it caught one, amazing. I had a harder time keeping SW fish than the bimac. I think that tank Maint. and keeping a bimac is as easy as my FW tank. When I was at one of my LFS I asked about Cuttlefish just to see how hard it would be to get one ( everyone says it is so hard to get) and this guy told me it would be no problem and that it would be less than $100. Hummmm not sure if i belive him or not. Went to my other LFS and they have another Bimac. Can I put more than one Bimac in a 55gal tank? or would that be too much. I know, I am getting way ahead of my self, but they have it in a small critter cage in a tank :cry: They seem to always have them but now I am attached and feel sorry for them :frown:

Hi Debbie,

Glad to hear that everything is going so well with your bimac. Is she still eating clams and snails?

Sorry, but one bimac per tank is enough. Most attempts to put two octopuses together in one tank haven't worked out well.

I think the best thing you - and all of us - can do when we find an octopus for sale is to make sure the LFS will inform the future owner as to how to take care of it. I have left TONMO.com's web address with LFSs that sell octopuses - I ask them to give this address to the buyer of the octopus as a way of getting additional information.

Please keep us updated about your bimac!

Thanks,

Nancy

Thats a great idea Nancy, I will give them the web site for fututer Ceph. owners. Yes she is still eating clams, snails, and now mollies. It amazes me how fast she is growing, her tent, were they are attached to the body are the size of pencils now! Is this rate of growth normal? She seems very happy and content and definately the king/queen of the tank. Water params are all good and hopefully this is not the calm before the storm(knock on wood) something always goes wrong. :wink: but for now everything is ok.
How is your little one doing? any luck with the shrimp you bought? Does it show itself alot? Wish I had a digt. camera! Let me know how yours is doing. I'm hooked, I love my octo!!!!!!!!!

Ollie is doing fine. I think he's younger than your bimac, but he's growing rapidly too. I know octopuses grow quickly, but I don't know what's "normal".

Ollie has eaten snails and ghost shrimp, and recently he's loved the live shore shrimp I've gotten for him, as well as fresh scallops from the Fish Market and recently live fiddler crabs. He's learned to take food from a stick, and he stays out in the open most of the time. Ollie has a place to sleep where he can keep an eye on things, too.

He's magnificent when he hunts, changing color, texture, and shape frequently.

Here's an Ollie pic!

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back