• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac Ready Tank

dleo4590

O. vulgaris
Registered
My boyfriend and I had accidentally acquired a bimac octopus when we purchased a "pacific dwarf octopus." We were confused at first because it didn't really look like a dwarf and so we set out on a mission to try to identify it. After thoroughly searching the web and talking to a few people we knew in the trade, we concluded that we had a bimac instead of a dwarf. It was definitely a pleasant surprise! It was very interactive and got along very well in the tank with its tankmates. It loved to eat emerald crabs and was always climbing around on the glass walls. We had it in a 125 gallon saltwater tank with the following parameters kept in check: RO/DI water mixed with Red Sea Salt to a salinity of 0.026, pH - 7.4, Temp - 78 degrees Fahrenheit, Ammonia - 0.0 ppm, Nitrates - 0.0 ppm, Nitrites - 0.0 ppm. This is the same tank with the same parameters that we will be putting our new little one into once it arrives. Sadly, our other bimac passed we suspect due to it being at the end of it's life cycle and we have been searching tirelessly to try to find another.

20190326_093729.jpg

20190326_093723.jpg

This is a neat setup! I like the rock work you have going on.

If you would like some advice on how to increase the longevity of your future octo, I would recommend dropping the temperature (if possible) and increasing the pH. Bimacs typically do best in a pH of 8-8.2, and a temperature between 60-70 deg. F. (I chose these values based on personal experience, the TONMO bimac care sheet, and reference documents from the New England Aquarium).

If you can make these changes I'm sure you will get an extra 2-4 months of life out of your animal depending on how old it is when it arrives!

Here's hoping you can find another octo soon.

This is a neat setup! I like the rock work you have going on.

If you would like some advice on how to increase the longevity of your future octo, I would recommend dropping the temperature (if possible) and increasing the pH. Bimacs typically do best in a pH of 8-8.2, and a temperature between 60-70 deg. F. (I chose these values based on personal experience, the TONMO bimac care sheet, and reference documents from the New England Aquarium).

If you can make these changes I'm sure you will get an extra 2-4 months of life out of your animal depending on how old it is when it arrives!

Here's hoping you can find another octo soon.
Thank you for the info and I think we will make these adjustments for the longevity of the Bimac!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back