• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac issues with legs

I’ve had a young bimac make for about a week now. Acclimation went fine, he’s been eating since day 1 and is fed shrimp daily. He hasn’t shown any signs of distress and is always hanging out in his den just watching. He’s active at night exploring the tank. I’ve noticed that he’s missing the enda of two of his legs. Looking back to the pictures and videos I have taken the same two legs are shorter than the rest. So they have been like that probably since last week.
He’s in a 60 gal cube with plenty of rock and some pvc pipe. No other occupants in the tank besides 1 hermit crab and some very tiny snails.
Ammonia -0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-20ppm PH 8.1 Alk 11.
What can I do or what can this be?

F75E66D9-B542-4BE2-8610-8524A3AFC34F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0260.MOV
    23.5 MB
He might’ve chewed them off himself (autophagia) because of the stress from shipping.
That’s what I was thinking. He seems fine, he chills on the same ledge all day snd doesn’t seem distressed at all.
Agreed with @InCromWeTrust
I think there's a good chance he'll fully recover, especially since he's no longer in a stressful environment. Please keep monitoring though... Crossing my fingers! (and tentacles, if I had any...)
What kind of behavior should I watch out for that suggests he is stressed?

It is very common for octopuses that were caught in the wild to come to you with arm tips missing. Quite often, they lose the tips of their arms while hunting! There’s nothing you need to do to help them grow back, it’s just like a lizard’s tail. While it’s true there’s a possibility it could be due to autophagia from stress in shipping, it’s far more likely it happened either trying to hunt something or keep from being hunted itself.

From your videos and the behavior you have described, he sounds like a healthy and happy acclimated Octopus. Congratulations on your new family member!

It is very common for octopuses that were caught in the wild to come to you with arm tips missing. Quite often, they lose the tips of their arms while hunting! There’s nothing you need to do to help them grow back, it’s just like a lizard’s tail. While it’s true there’s a possibility it could be due to autophagia from stress in shipping, it’s far more likely it happened either trying to hunt something or keep from being hunted itself.

From your videos and the behavior you have described, he sounds like a healthy and happy acclimated Octopus. Congratulations on your new family member!
Thanks! He does seem pretty healthy. I’ve avoided really trying to interact with him, except for feedings, to let him acclimate peacefully. Thanks for the help! You guys are amazing!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back