• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Bimac Hatchlings

SueAndHerZoo

Wonderpus
Registered
They seem to come to life about 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. and are still out and about when I turn their light out at midnight or 1:00 a.m. They are in a room that gets a lot of natural daylight but I don't actually turn their light on till I come home for lunch (about 1:00 or 2:00 p.m.) and they are no where to be found at that time. I put some food in their individual habitats at lunch anyway, just in case they get up and are hungry while I'm back at the office. When I check on them early evening (7:00ish p.m.) they are usually still not out and about, but then later in the night when I go down to do the daily cleaning and maintenance, they are out and active. I don't know if that's a result of me always being the most active in their tank at 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. or if it's coincidence.

Last night they were VERY active, all three were climbing the walls of their breeding nets (making me nervous). I took advantage of the opportunity to start interacting with them. two out of three were very tolerant of my finger.... I was able to repeatedly put it right next to them, leave it there for a few seconds, remove it, and then do it again. The third one runs away when I do that but two out of three ain't bad. We've only just begun. :smile:

Sue

SueAndHerZoo

Wonderpus
Registered
SabrinaR;175070 said:
I am so excited for you... I am not really brave enough to raise babies... though I have yet to have opportunity to do so. Keep it up!

This is my very first experience with any type of cephalopod..... might as well jump right in with both feet, right? They and I can learn together and from each other. :smile:
Sue

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
What I love about you having 3 is you can already see their individuality! Awesome job!!! I'm so jealous!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak