• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bimac filtration options

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
Looking into different kinds of sumps to use for the aquarium that will in the future be home to our Bimac and I would like to get some opinions on the best way to do it. I watched a few Youtube videos on intergrading a Refugium into the sump tank but noticed those do not contain as much bio-media? Where the tanks that do not have a refugium they have more mechanical filtration. Which one is better suited for Octocare? Pro's and cons of each? Is having them both better/worse?

I would say that a refugium is harder to manage than a more typical filtration sump setup. From my understanding, a refugium typically aims to recapitulate some of the natural filtration processes that happen in nature through the use of macro algae and microfauna. A refugium is more useful for people that breed fish or are trying to culture a specific type of algae or plant, or expect aquarists that want to have as much of a "natural" nitrogen cycle in their aquarium as possible.

A refugium is not necessary for an octopus tank and I think would probably make having an octopus more difficult because you will have to manage the refugium's health in addition to the octopus. Maybe other people with more experience with refugium's can comment as well.

I would say that a refugium is harder to manage than a more typical filtration sump setup. From my understanding, a refugium typically aims to recapitulate some of the natural filtration processes that happen in nature through the use of macro algae and microfauna. A refugium is more useful for people that breed fish or are trying to culture a specific type of algae or plant, or expect aquarists that want to have as much of a "natural" nitrogen cycle in their aquarium as possible.

A refugium is not necessary for an octopus tank and I think would probably make having an octopus more difficult because you will have to manage the refugium's health in addition to the octopus. Maybe other people with more experience with refugium's can comment as well.
Thank you!

A refugium can be used to enhance another filtration system. You honestly can do a large sump with filter socks for your return water and fill it with live rock. Thanks

When I kept bimacs my filtration was:
Filter floss
Large wet/dry w/ bio balls (20-25% of water volume)
Large protein skimmer
Deep sand bed in tank

I would add chemical filtration and/or a nitrate reactor if I set my tank up again, but I kept bimacs for years, and they all died of old age.

I never had a refugium.
The factors that drove my filtration design were:
1) Keep water temp around 55-63 degrees without spending a fortune on electricity. So I wanted all filtration kept in an insulated box with a minimum surface area - no refugium.
2) Octopus are messy eaters, so pull food scraps out of the system quickly. So lots of flow and no dead spots to keep scraps from settling, and mechanical filtration changed often. Also brittle stars to help clean up.

I would add chemical filtration and/or a nitrate reactor if I set my tank up again, but I kept bimacs for years, and they all died of old age.
One of TONMO's best keepers right here! Glad to see you on the forums, @Joe-Ceph :thumbsup: ... I hope you'll set up your tank again; would be great to have another journal from you.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back