• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bill's new Red Sea 350

I buy the smallest grocery clams I can find. less than 1.75 inches across.
These are still too big for a small bimac to drill and open, so I open them myself.
When Nanshe gets bigger or if I can find smaller clams Nanshe will drill them.

Changing the subject, I buy fiddler crabs from Florida and too many of them are dying in captivity, any ideas?

I buy the smallest grocery clams I can find. less than 1.75 inches across.
These are still too big for a small bimac to drill and open, so I open them myself.
When Nanshe gets bigger or if I can find smaller clams Nanshe will drill them.

Changing the subject, I buy fiddler crabs from Florida and too many of them are dying in captivity, any ideas?
Dying during shipping or when you have them

Usually it does not work out well having fish with an octopus. Either the fish bother or attack the octopus and cause the octopus to stay In his den, or the octopus eats the fish. We’ve had examples of both here on Tonmo.

There are few other tankmates recommended for an octopus. Many, such as snails will probably eaten. Shrimp can harass the octopus while the octopus is young, but later will be eaten. Corals can be tried, but your octopus may rearrange the tank!

I tried a smalll pencil urchin, which was ok with my O. bimaculoides, but gradually ate so much of my coralline algae that it was no longer an asset to the tank.

Nancy

Nanshe has grown quite a bit. We are only feeding Nanshe clams at the moment. She/he eats from one to two a day. Nanshe has also eaten two of the older Clown fish.
I have attached one of my more exciting videos. I can't say we are friends yet, but Nanshe definitely is curious.

Attachments

• Nanshe Special 6m.MOV
    6.3 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
We had several small fish in the red Sea tank from the beginning.
Last week I closed down the smaller 32 gallon tank and moved two Clown fish and a shrimp to the Red Sea aquarium.
Nanshe now has eaten the two clown fish that were moved. So far Nanshe has not bee able to catch the Basslet, either of the chromies nor the Blenie or shrimp.

We had several small fish in the red Sea tank from the beginning.
Last week I closed down the smaller 32 gallon tank and moved two Clown fish and a shrimp to the Red Sea aquarium.
Nanshe now has eaten the two clown fish that were moved. So far Nanshe has not bee able to catch the Basslet, either of the chromies nor the Blenie or shrimp.
What made you decide to combine the two tanks?

The small apartment is the main factor.
The smaller tank was 32 gallons and had the Pacific brown, which is a nocturnal octopus.
When it died, i decided one larger tank was enough.
I'd like to have another tabnk, but that is impossible.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back