• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Bill's new Red Sea 350

I don't have any experience in this area, but here is a quote :
“Experienced aquarists know that when they transport a captured octopus, it will survive much better if moved in just a small amount of cold water in a big plastic bag filled with pure oxygen.

"Super Suckers , The Giant Pacific Octopus", 2009, James A. Codgrove & Neil McDaniel p54.

I don't have any experience in this area, but here is a quote :
“Experienced aquarists know that when they transport a captured octopus, it will survive much better if moved in just a small amount of cold water in a big plastic bag filled with pure oxygen.
"Super Suckers , The Giant Pacific Octopus", 2009, James A. Codgrove & Neil McDaniel p54.

I put two Clams in the aquarium yesterday. This morning one was wide open and empty. Clarry had drilled a hole through the shell.

Attachments

• Clarry drilled hole in clam 5779.JPG
    Clarry drilled hole in clam 5779.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Clarry drilled hole in clam 5778.JPG
    Clarry drilled hole in clam 5778.JPG
    862.1 KB · Views: 31
Problem!
1. Iris abandoned her shell home she has had for a week and dug a cave under one of the rocks.
2. Iris has turned white or very light gray and has taken strange positions in the cave.
What does this mean?
I too have noticed this taking strange positions in conjunction with pale coloring-in my experience it means the octopus is no longer in the right mind and is dying:cry3: 💔
i have also seen digging deep into the substrate under a rock but only by 1 or 2 octos so i can't speak much to that.

Clarry is not eating and turns white. Clarry can still move and turn black, but something has changed.
Clarry's eyes are different.

Attachments

• IMG_6328.JPG
    IMG_6328.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Clarry is no more RIP.
Clarry is an Octopus bimaculoides (California two-spot octopus or bimac for short) and the life span is one to one and a half years.
Clarry weighed 193 grams and was the largest octopus I have had, so I suspected that Clarry was older.

Clarry last ate about two days ago and stayed in the den most of the time. I offered food and Clarry completly ignored both the food and the stick. Just before death, Clarry moved out of the den and settled down in a corner in the front of the aquarium on the glass and bottom.
Over the course of two hours Clarry gradually let loose of the glass. Clarry's color was not unusual, perhaps a little lighter. The most noticeable thing was that her beak disappeared leaving a dark hole.

Attachments

• 01 6345.JPG
    01 6345.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 02 6331.JPG
    02 6331.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 03 6333.JPG
    03 6333.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 04 6335.JPG
    04 6335.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 22
Clarry is no more RIP.
Clarry is an Octopus bimaculoides (California two-spot octopus or bimac for short) and the life span is one to one and a half years.
Clarry weighed 193 grams and was the largest octopus I have had, so I suspected that Clarry was older.

Clarry last ate about two days ago and stayed in the den most of the time. I offered food and Clarry completly ignored both the food and the stick. Just before death, Clarry moved out of the den and settled down in a corner in the front of the aquarium on the glass and bottom.
Over the course of two hours Clarry gradually let loose of the glass. Clarry's color was not unusual, perhaps a little lighter. The most noticeable thing was that her beak disappeared leaving a dark hole.
Sorry for your loss!!!

Sorry for your loss, @Bill Walton -- you did a great job providing this octo a home. Thank you for sharing Clarry with us!

Were you able to capture any tank specs (temp, etc) at the time of death?

I take all the values every week and they were normal. The only unusual value and this had been the last two weeks, was the pH was pushing 8.0, but this was corrected to 8.3 each time.

Looks great! It's always good news when they start eating soon after acclimation. I'm excited to see how this one does in the tank.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly that Right2 arm grows back.

The small bimac's name is Nanshe. Nanshe was out and about for the first time in the aquarium.
Here we are feeding Nanshe a fiddler crab.

Attachments

• Nanshe grapping crab 4823 17m.mov
    17.3 MB

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back