Bill's new Red Sea 350

Today i got the O. bimaculoidesis (Iris) from Tomh. It was UPS air from San Diego.
I was and still am quite quite nervous.

The package arrived at the UPS Menlo Park Hub at 6 AM, but they do not open for pickup until 10 AM so Iris sat there for four hours on a dolly.
She arrived and I opened the box, all looked fine. I opened the plastic bag and started adding aquarium water.

Every 10 minutes I add a cup. After a good while I poured all the water out and added aquarium water, then I release Iris into the aquarium.

Iris did not hide, but investigated the aquarium.

Iris has 6 fish and two fiddler crabs as companions. I did not realize Iris would be so big, now I feel the fish and crabs will disappear one by one.

I am very excited.

Keith

Attachments

• MPJ Small.mp4
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1 Iris 5271.jpg
    1 Iris 5271.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2

I have been making friends with Iris. Iris has been coming up to the top of the aquarium to shake finger/arm with me. Iris had eaten one of the fiddler crabs earlier. So I held second fiddler crab with my fingers and Iris came up and took it.

Attachments

• Feeding a crab.wmv
    6.6 MB · Views: 2
This is a small clip of Iris when she/he is having a tug of war with my hand.
Toward the end you may see Iris make a small squirt of water toward my hand.
Iris had done a large Squirt earlier where the water went about 15 cm over the aquarium edge.
I am trying to build up my nerve to allow her to pull my hand down into the aquarium.

Attachments

• Second small Squirt on me.wmv
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Petting an octopus.
Slowly, I am trying to make contact with Iris.
I follow a pattern of making a squeaking noise in the water on the inside of the aquarium.
When Iris come over she tries to hold on to me and pull my hand down deeper into the aquarium.
While Iris is doing this, I stroke her arms and even her mantel.
Iris is getting use to this and is not as afraid as she was in the beginning.
Iris is often following the surface of the aquarium around the top edge, maybe to escape.
It is slow, but I am making progress.
Keith

Latest Posts