• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Big tank

Opcn

GPO
Registered
I've seen a few people trying to breed dwarf cuttles in smaller tanks, but don't large scale operations use large tanks? large tanks may hunting more rewarding and reduce agression, and they arent that expensive if you don't feel the need to have glass. Useing three quarter inch marine plywood,2X4's and and an EDPM membrane you could build a 900 gallon tank for about two hundred dollars if you shop around. if you had a 900 and treated it like a 100 only with more sand and more flow you could provide lots of room for your critters to roam and for pairs to have there own territory, and if you built with wood you could easily put fuges above the tank and grow ulva species for amphipods and rear young in the big tank, after pulling out the adults of course.

If only I didn't live in a dorm (I'm already 140% over the maximum tank size limit I don't think they would take kindly to a 8900% breach)

Remember that you need more live rock, a bigger skimmer, more salt water ect and then it might not be as economical in the long long. I think the tank size isnt too much of a problem provided the cuttles are divided and well fed. If your going with a large tank you could breed S. offinalis instead.

Smaller and larger systems have their own pros and cons. A larger system has more room, but more room means more room! :biggrin2: IMO, smaller systems allows you to keep easier track of each animal to make sure its eating, not injured and makes it easier to see eggs.

I have the room under my house for a bigger than 100 gallon tank for the main cuttle area, but I don't think I am going to utilize it till I am able to keep track of a successful breeding cycle.

Feelers, sure a 300 gallon system sith 100 lbs of live rock wouldn't be three times as good as a 100 gallon system with the same amount of live rock, but its certainly a little better, it wouldn't look as good, but there are more important things, now as for skimmer I would think that a 100 gallon skimmer would work on a 300 gallon tank so long as it were only stocked like a 100 gallon tank, ofcourse with a setup that big it would be exceedingly easy to DIY a skimmer with some basswood that would outperform most skimmers on the market (the bigger the skimmer the easier it is to fine tune) and in adition to that you have additional volume for dilution and additional surface aea for waste management.

Now as for the more roombit, if you keep lots of live food in the tank they won't go hungry, and you will side step alot of territory issues, and you know, you weigh just a little bit less than water, so for every 7.9 pounds of you (to be on the safe side) you displace one gallon of water, so the average non-american probably doesn't take up more than 20 gallons, less still if you are asian (don't get mad its true) Just have thirty gallons of extra wter, discontinue the use of soap for a few days, exfoliate well, and take a dip. How fun would that be.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back