"BIG RED" new discovery

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
This morning while watching CBS they have discovered a new jellyfish called Big Red. It was awesome. Has anyone else seen the footage on this beautiful creature. Very Fasinating and cool :rainbow:

Fascinating...it always amazes me that in the time I have been involved in the animal kingdom, new species(to us) keep on appearing...makes one rather humble does it not?
Greg
p.s. they were even showing the footage on our local news...go figure!

I seen in on CBS this morning!

I get up at 5 AM here and at that time Sky News somtimes shows American news channels.... weird that i seen that today too :? :bugout:

C

Hello all,

For the sake of full disclosure, I ought to say that I hate giant jellyfish. On my life's list of Animals That Make Me Ill, they rank quite high: somewhere between pelagic neudebranchs and sea lampreys.

Having said that, this giant jelly has set me to thinking about our old pal Architeuthis. If the GS is in fact a drifting, "ambush" predator, jellies like "Big Red" would make a wonderful meal, requiring little energy expenditure to capture, masticate and digest. And then, there's Architeuthis' ability to produce an enzyme that neutralizes paralytic nerve agents. That ability would be useful if one were preying on animals that subdue their own prey with neurotoxins.

:?:

Clem
Jellyfish hater since 1974

My wife is on your page...had a set of strands whip her across her back and legs in florida, and has disliked them ever since...oh well. Interesting point about the toxicity/invulnerability, but how prevalent are these large jellies?
Greg
p.s. I wonder if they taste like chicken?

cthulhu77 said:
p.s. I wonder if they taste like chicken?

Now that's just...I mean...the last thing I want to imagine is...ugh.

I was suggesting that jellies in general might be prey items for Architeuthis, with Big Red being a particularly tasty meal. The guys who named it have an online article, somewhere; I doubt they have much of a clue as to how common Red might be, but certainly more of a clue than I've got. Not too common, I hope. :goofysca:

Clem

Clem said:
I was suggesting that jellies in general might be prey items for Architeuthis, with Big Red being a particularly tasty meal. The guys who named it have an online article, somewhere; I doubt they have much of a clue as to how common Red might be, but certainly more of a clue than I've got. Not too common, I hope. :goofysca:

Clem,

Stranger things have happened... I do know that the Leatherback Turtle Dermochelys coriacea grows to a gigantic size (almost 3m long) on a diet almost exclusively consisting of jellies. And the protien content of jellies is low.... REALLY low... The amount of jellies that would have to be eaten is astounding.

Jelly-eaters tend to eat by sucking in their prey. Leatherbacks have "spines" in the throats which point toward the stomach, therefore assuring that the jellies take a one-way trip.

I don't think Archi eats jellies, but stranger things have happened...

Sushi and Sake,

John

Although I've only looked at the crop contents of one Haliphron atlanticus (the giant gelatinous octopus), they were full of some sort of jelly - so full that they had to have been eaten (rather than accidentally ingested). Also, juveniles of the pelagic octopuses Tremoctopus and Ocythoe are associated with jellys, the male of Ocythoe even living inside a salp.

Jellys haven't been reported from Architeuthis gut samples (though lots of other things have been), so I would doubt that they are eaten by this animal.
O

Hello Steve,

Any thoughts about the potential utility of anti-neurotoxin enzymes in Archi? If not to tolerate ingested jellies, then maybe to protect against the effects of being stung by them? Drifting through a jelly swarm could really screw up one's day.

:roll:

Clem

I thought that nematocysts were only stimulated by a non-slimy coating...so a squid should be ok as far as swimming into them, but perhaps I am incorrect?
Greg
p.s. the chicken ref. was in light of the old joke...
Game ranger arrests a guy for eating a spotted owl at his campsight. On the drive back to the station, he asks the offender a question.." I have to ask this...what does a spotted owl taste like?"
The guy responds,"well, to be honest...kind of like a cross between a peregrine falcon and a bald eagle."

I know. It is old...oh well.

cthulhu77 said:
I thought that nematocysts were only stimulated by a non-slimy coating...so a squid should be ok as far as swimming into them, but perhaps I am incorrect?

Sounds good to me. Since I posted that query, I've read an article in todays paper about sea lions poisoned by domoic acid, a neuro-toxin produced by a species of plankton. The sea lions ingest fish and molluscs that can safely feed on the plankton, and get sick from secondary poisoning. Maybe that's why Architeuthis has that neutralizing enzyme: to prevent poisoning by planktonic neurotoxins ingested by its prey items.

As for the jelly-eating idea, I admit that I enjoy the thought that one of my favorite animals would eat one of my least favorite animals.
:heee:
Clem

Bringing this back to one of my favorite topics, food -

Clem, could humans be a favorite animal to eat one of your least favorites?

Jellyfish aren't bad eating, but they take flavor more from what's with them (usually sesame oil) and bring their own chewy texture. Not like chicken. I have only had jellies prepared in Chinese restaurants, but I found jellyfish in a Chinatown market on Friday and may try this at home.

They'd be less enjoyable if you tried to eat them in leatherback sea turtle proportions.

I like to see jellies but I've been fortunate enough to have only two very mild stings a decade apart.

Melissa

Melissa,

I'd have to be tricked into eating jellyfish, and never clued in to the gag, otherwise I would make a scene. Hollering and profanity would ensue. Things would be thrown.

That said, I heartily endorse your eating "Tofu of the Sea." Were I in Chinatown, I'd probably go for the barbecued squid hanging in the windows, then make a hasty exit from Canal St. I never could spend too much time around the fish stalls. The live baby turtles depressed the hell out of me.

Please let me know how the jellyfish-fry works out.

Yours truly,

Clem

I've had pickled jellyfish :yuck:

The director of our aquarium has adventurous tastebuds and instists we all do too! These were revolting slimy, salty and a fairly strong musty flavour. Course that may have to do with the preserving process but I'm not game to try other varieties.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back