• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Bicamculoides vs. bimaculatus

I found this on another thread, and I think it helps clear up the question:

CaptFish;164736 said:
from "Cephalopods: A World Guide"
Bimaculatus - The ocellus contains an iridescent blue ring in the form of broken chain links with spokes extending to the outer edge of the false eye spot. - small egged- size body to 20cm and arms 80cm

Bimaculoides- The iridescent ring with in the ocellus is in the form of unbroken chain links. - large egged- body 12cm and arms 35cm

pics of Ollie here: http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/BimacCareSheet.php
So it sounds like they BOTH have blue rings that are chain-like, but that the chain on bimaculoides is unbroken, and does not have spokes (sunburst) radiating out, while bimaculatus has a broken blue chain, and spokes (sunburst) radiating out.

Karina

Hatchling
Registered
This thread was extremely helpful. I am going to try to analyze my dive video and see if I can get a better view of the eye-spots to determine which species I saw. Thank you!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@Karina,
Chances are you won't be able to tell from your images as the two are almost indistinguishable visually. The bimaculatus are typically a deeper water, larger animal but your depth of 55' is kind of in between. The animals we typically keep have been captured in shallow tide pools and are all bimaculoides, mostly juveniles. These are the large egg, benthic born version where the bimaculatus hatches out more, small, planktonic hatchlings.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak